New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2015 quarter window louvers or scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Bobbi Marino

Question 2015 quarter window louvers or scoops?

Hi,
I'm new to the Forum. I just bought a 2015 GT 50th Anniversary Guard Metallic and I am looking to add scoops to the quarter windows. I would like to know what your opinions are both pros and cons. I am afraid that the scoops will just pop off because of the way the air filters in.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:30 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

neither IMHO...reduces what you can see backing up.

but that's just me

Post a pic amigo!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:13 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Welcome.
Not a fan of scoops or vents that aren't functional..
Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Welcome.
Not a fan of scoops or vents that aren't functional..
Which is why I probably won't put side scoops on, or quarter window scoops.
I don't see the point when they serve no purpose, but increase drag.

Louvers were invented in the middle ages for venting, while keeping out rain and
snow; so dunno how they got the concept for rear and side windows on cars.
However, later they became a fashion thing. I am sure you have seen homes
with the permanently open look louvers, they never close, they're always flat
against the exterior.

TEN things you don't put on your car:
Louvers - Bad visibility, and you can't clean the window(s).
Baby On Board signs.
Stupid stickers (family line ups).
Eyelashes.
Aftermarket Landau roofs (though popular in Florida).
Bumper protectors.
FAKE tuning products/bits (rice).
False badging.
Aftermarket HIDs (in reflector housings).
Truck nuts, the stupidest thing I have seen to date.

Anyhow, the louver look on the Mustang began in the '60s. Mustangs like the 1967 Shelby
GT500 and other early Shelby models introduced the quarter window louver, to give it a wider
and more intimidating stance. Later, the 1969 and 1970 Mach 1 Mustang started the trend of
rear window louvers which was said to make them look sleek, and like they were speeding,
even while sitting still. So, they're still popular with today’s owners, thus keeping louvers as
an often-picked exterior mod.

Not sure I am going to go that route with mine, unless they're dirt cheap...
Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Well I have to give my 2¢ worth. As you see in my photo, I do have the quarter window louvers.....however they are not the stick on kind. They are the Silver Horse Racing Louvers that you must take out the glass and install these in. As far as the comment that you cannot see out of them while backing.....I drive big trucks and other BIG vehicles so I have learned to use my side view mirrors for those instances. I have YET to use the quarter windows to look out of. So saying that your view is blocked for driving is mute.....that's what your mirrors are for. I love my louvers and I get many, many compliments on them. Now when I owned an '82, 5.0, I did have the aluminum louvers on the back glass. The only complaint was that they did rattle some. The good thing is it cut down on sun and heat damage. As far as the view, I could see fine out the back with those louvers. Cleaning the back glass was no issue as those particular louvers lifted up. I agree that there are some modding things that look stupid on a Mustang but hey, it's YOUR car and modding is a form of personalizing it to suite YOU.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:45 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I drove a cargo van with NO rear windows, had to use mirrors for everything, so
this would not be a problem for me either. Funny, Chevy even put the rear view
mirror on the windshield, totally useless, I took it off. It could have failed inspection
without it, but they were like, the same thing; what's the point, there are no rear
windows.

They only way, I think, the louvers look good, is that flush look you got going with yours,
07 Stang . I don't want a lip, then louvers... IF they made the louvers that didn't
have a flat base with a lip on it, maybe... They could make it so the ends go into
the window seal crevice, so you don't see a small lip or ledge before the louver
body. That would be nice.

I would also want a rear window louver with quick disconnects, so I could remove
the louver with a few turns of some fastener tops, lift it off the glass, clean it, then
put it back on the fasteners, and tighten down. Would FOAM the entire edge
of the louver so it does not vibrate off the window.

Like I said, if I were to find a set dirt cheap... I am not going to go out of my way,
look and buy. WISH.COM has the cheapest side ones available... Plastic is
plastic...
Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Neither IMO.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Well I have to give my 2¢ worth. As you see in my photo, I do have the quarter window louvers.....however they are not the stick on kind. They are the Silver Horse Racing Louvers that you must take out the glass and install these in. As far as the comment that you cannot see out of them while backing.....I drive big trucks and other BIG vehicles so I have learned to use my side view mirrors for those instances. I have YET to use the quarter windows to look out of. So saying that your view is blocked for driving is mute.....that's what your mirrors are for. I love my louvers and I get many, many compliments on them. Now when I owned an '82, 5.0, I did have the aluminum louvers on the back glass. The only complaint was that they did rattle some. The good thing is it cut down on sun and heat damage. As far as the view, I could see fine out the back with those louvers. Cleaning the back glass was no issue as those particular louvers lifted up. I agree that there are some modding things that look stupid on a Mustang but hey, it's YOUR car and modding is a form of personalizing it to suite YOU.
the ones where the windows come out, I'd not turn that down...looks good and flush.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
I drove a cargo van with NO rear windows, had to use mirrors for everything, so
this would not be a problem for me either. Funny, Chevy even put the rear view
mirror on the windshield, totally useless, I took it off. It could have failed inspection
without it, but they were like, the same thing; what's the point, there are no rear
windows.

They only way, I think, the louvers look good, is that flush look you got going with yours,
07 Stang . I don't want a lip, then louvers... IF they made the louvers that didn't
have a flat base with a lip on it, maybe... They could make it so the ends go into
the window seal crevice, so you don't see a small lip or ledge before the louver
body. That would be nice.

I would also want a rear window louver with quick disconnects, so I could remove
the louver with a few turns of some fastener tops, lift it off the glass, clean it, then
put it back on the fasteners, and tighten down. Would FOAM the entire edge
of the louver so it does not vibrate off the window.

Like I said, if I were to find a set dirt cheap... I am not going to go out of my way,
look and buy. WISH.COM has the cheapest side ones available... Plastic is
plastic...
Thanks for the compliments. You said you want a rear window louver with quick release. I don't know what they are making now but on my '82, it had two bolts at the bottom that you secured the louver too. The top had two hinges. You simply took both bolts out and pulled out the prop that was tucked under the last louver, to clean the back glass. No need to take the entire louver off. I do know what you mean about finding something dirt cheap. Keep looking on eBay. That is where I found my 1/4 window louvers. The guy who sold them to me had just bought these but he wrecked his Mustang before he had a chance to install them. I got them for dirt cheap.....I believe it was $50.00...I'd have to go back and find where I first posted it. I did pay Ford to paint and install it for me. I think that was around $100. Still cheaper than buying them out right. Yes, I could have saved some $ by installing them myself but I didn't have the nerve to do it. I wanted to make sure it was done correctly. The guy at Ford told me, the installation was much like that of replacing the window. So, keep looking in your local Craigslist as well as eBay. You never know when you might strike gold.