New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

new member, first mustang-"srs"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:53 PM
rdtavape

Default new member, first mustang-"srs"?

so i was looking for a fix for my ignition chime and followed a link to this site and in one of the threads someone said something about "the elusive srs" or something to that effect. i have a bit of a dry sense of humor so i'm not sure if it was a sarcastic comment or if it held some sort of something. i don't know but my curiosity and wanting to know what has just taken over so here i am all official a new member of this great forum site. so this is my first mustang, got it at an auction for next to nothing. it's a 97 gt 4.6 v8. already got k&n intake, touchscreen deck, nice exhaust, 20" U2 rims. the list goes on so i was just so pleased with this little score. so here's why i'm posting, in addition to introducing myself of course. which i've yet to do so sorry. i live in tucson az , i'm single, got a beautiful little blue nose pit i rescued as a pup. its kinda sad but funny. they did some kind of a probably don't know how to do this kinda thing job when they sort of clipped her ears so they stand up kinda different than they're supposed to so i named her Bunny. anyhow i have been a computer and mobile device tech since before the smart phone. i play the drums, not in a band but like to keep it really heavy on the metal side. and now for the other reason for the post. on the passenger side of the dash it says srs and i didn't really ever think anything of it until i read someone's comment about them being elusive and how they were trying to find one. so here i am wondering what if anything is the deal with an srs mustang gt? thanks for adding me to your forum. already gotten a few tips and knowledge. anything anybody wanna know hit me up
Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

SRS is an Airbag. So, if your SRS is on the dashboard, passenger side,
that is the airbag. Supplemental Restraint system (SRS).

It has SRS on the lefts side, and Mustang on the right.... There is no such thing as
an SRS Mustang.

Yeah?

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 06-16-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Neko
2nd Gear Member

Specifically: Safety Restraint System if I recall correctly.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You recall wrong, it is Supplemental Restraint system (SRS)

Safety Restraints, are seat-belts, head-rest...

From sources ALL OVER the country:
The SRS stands for supplemental restraint system, and it’s intended to provide protection above that offered
by the seatbelt in the event of an accident.

The SRS light - or airbag light - is a warning light that alerts the driver to a problem with the supplemental
restraint system (SRS).

What is an SRS warning light?
Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) in other words this is what controls the airbags in your car.

SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) Airbags supplement the occupant protection provided by the
seatbelts and the design of the vehicle structure.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Yup, and the main reason they're referred to as "supplemental" is that these are what's known as "passive" restraints, that don't require human activation. ...As opposed to active restraints like regular seat belts that you have to click yourself. Before air bags became so widely adopted, some automakers strove to include technically "passive" restraints by implementing automatic belts (thank goodness our Mustangs don't have those haha).
Old 06-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Neko
2nd Gear Member

I stand corrected and educated
Old 06-16-2018, 01:07 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The new i-SRS development of the standard airbag Supplementary Restraint System controls
front airbag and front seat belt pretensioner deployment, in a way that ensures optimum occupant
protection according to the severity of a frontal collision. The system will also send an unlock
signal to all doors 10 seconds after deployment of any air bag or pretensioner. i-SRS independently
deploys both seat belt pretensioner's, and two stages of driver's and passengers airbag.

So, the new i-SRS Mustang coming soon...