New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Thanks for the add

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:11 AM
JerseeJerry55

Default Thanks for the add

Thanks for the add. I am an avid fan of the Mustang and have been since I was a teenager back in the mid 1970’s. In 3 years I turn 60 and will go Pony shopping. Looking primarily for a 1990-2004, although 2005-2009 is a definite consideration. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

Welcome! I'm no expert but thought I'd add my 2 cents. That's a pretty wide range in terms of your considerations. I'm going to assume in terms of GT/v8 trim. From 90 ro 93 those are the final years of the Fox body which are very versatile but getting pretty popular now so their prices have been going up. From 94 to 95 You have the SN95 body style but they're unique in that they have the older windsor 5.0 which is an interesting combo.

96 to 99 (?) Feature the introduction of the 2 valve 4.6 with increase to power as it got older. 2000-2004 came with a body redesign for the New Edge look and more powerful PI 4.6 tweak. There's also many trims like Bullit, Cobra, and Mach 1 (personal favorite). Prices of these have seemed steadyish lately

05 to 09 have the retro styled body (S197 i think? which I and many others love) and the 3V 4.6 along with plenty of other tweaks. Prices here seemed to have gone down a little due to the introduction of the Coyote 5.0 and redesign in 2011.

So it really depends in what you're looking for. Have you decided on a budget? Do you want to work on it or have it running right from the bat?

Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 AM
JerseeJerry55

Originally Posted by Longtermmustang
Welcome! I'm no expert but thought I'd add my 2 cents. That's a pretty wide range in terms of your considerations. I'm going to assume in terms of GT/v8 trim. From 90 ro 93 those are the final years of the Fox body which are very versatile but getting pretty popular now so their prices have been going up. From 94 to 95 You have the SN95 body style but they're unique in that they have the older windsor 5.0 which is an interesting combo.

96 to 99 (?) Feature the introduction of the 2 valve 4.6 with increase to power as it got older. 2000-2004 came with a body redesign for the New Edge look and more powerful PI 4.6 tweak. There's also many trims like Bullit, Cobra, and Mach 1 (personal favorite). Prices of these have seemed steadyish lately

05 to 09 have the retro styled body (S197 i think? which I and many others love) and the 3V 4.6 along with plenty of other tweaks. Prices here seemed to have gone down a little due to the introduction of the Coyote 5.0 and redesign in 2011.

So it really depends in what you're looking for. Have you decided on a budget? Do you want to work on it or have it running right from the bat?
Thanks for the welcome. Please see my answers.
The range of years is vast because to me they all have appeal to me. I'm pretty open to either a 6 or 8 cylinder. A hardtop is preferred, but a convertible is a definite consideration. Looking for a pretty clean example. My budget is to be capped off at about 9 to 10K. Know it may not bring me a pristine example, but as I said a pretty clean example will do the trick.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JerseeJerry55
Thanks for the welcome. Please see my answers.
The range of years is vast because to me they all have appeal to me. I'm pretty open to either a 6 or 8 cylinder. A hardtop is preferred, but a convertible is a definite consideration. Looking for a pretty clean example. My budget is to be capped off at about 9 to 10K. Know it may not bring me a pristine example, but as I said a pretty clean example will do the trick.
Well that budget can get you a pretty wide range, not a bad problem to have imo lol. I guess it just comes down to making a list and prioritizing what you're looking for in your car. Then test driving some until you find that match. For example, some with V6's wish they got V8s. Others are happy with the V6. Comes down to what your top preferences for the car are. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 AM
JerseeJerry55

Well that budget can get you a pretty wide range, not a bad problem to have imo lol. I guess it just comes down to making a list and prioritizing what you're looking for in your car. Then test driving some until you find that match. For example, some with V6's wish they got V8s. Others are happy with the V6. Comes down to what your top preferences for the car are. Good luck!
Thanks. To me it's about comfort and looks. Would I love to pick up a Cobra, or GT in that price range. Sure however a nice example that is in good shape that really needs no work is more the objective. Based on the anticipated assistance from the group PLUS copious amounts of research should net me what I will be happy with.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JerseeJerry55
Thanks. To me it's about comfort and looks. Would I love to pick up a Cobra, or GT in that price range. Sure however a nice example that is in good shape that really needs no work is more the objective. Based on the anticipated assistance from the group PLUS copious amounts of research should net me what I will be happy with.
Hmm in terms of comfort and looks with a V8 I'd probably aim for an 05+ GT. 06+ technically because I never buy first year cars lol. Newer with improved body and suspension compared to the previous years along with the stronger 3 valve. That should get you a good balance.

At the same time, I've heard (but not tried myself) that the Cobra's clutch is heavy and replacement parts for those 4V engines are more expensive than the more easily found models. But it'd be a special car in regards to its exclusivity. So many options, so many possibilities lol.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM
JerseeJerry55

Hmm in terms of comfort and looks with a V8 I'd probably aim for an 05+ GT. 06+ technically because I never buy first year cars lol. Newer with improved body and suspension compared to the previous years along with the stronger 3 valve. That should get you a good balance.

At the same time, I've heard (but not tried myself) that the Cobra's clutch is heavy and replacement parts for those 4V engines are more expensive than the more easily found models. But it'd be a special car in regards to its exclusivity. So many options, so many possibilities lol.
Yessir. Thanks for your insight.