Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

starting autox looking for help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Default starting autox looking for help/advice

So I was looking into startin autox this summer. Have looked around on scca and autocross.com and it looks like I would be running in the gstock (gs) class according to autocross. I don't have alot done to my car so I'm wondering what mods I can do to keep my car in that class. As of now just have an intake, exhaust, and tuner. It is lowered and in april I will have new shocks/struts, cc plates, and new tires. I was thinking about gettin a lightweight driveshaft just so it can rev a little quicker and slotted rotors which will hopefully run cooler while running the course. Just wanted to make sure I would be in the right class and what mods I can put on my car to stay in that class. Also what do I actually need to show up at the events and race? I was looking around but havn't found a list of what I need with me or need to do before the day of the event. Anything would be great, thanks guys.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Ive did a few AutoX's and some at faster tracks( 70~) and i learned alot. After the first one i was all into "getting more parts to do better." Then i realized that i dont need parts. i need practice! I would say run a half a dozen events even before looking to add parts( unless its tires) I noticed i would always run my car ar roughly(4k rpm). In the powerband right? So i can floor it out of the corner and be quicker. That wasnt the case, i would smoke the 275's out of every corner. I got some advice from other fellows to step it up a gear and this greatly helped. I was lower in the RPM, the car was less jerky, i didnt shift as much( less error to upset the car) and just starting out, it was the best advice i got. It let me focus more on driving rather than pounding the gears and going fast on the straights. It seemed so much slower as the stang didnt roar around every corner, but it ended up being a faster time because it was more controlled. Also, if you can find someone to take some pics and vids of you at the track! Heres just one of a few, before i learned to just slow down and be faster, its not all about the right pedal!

When i went, i went with my family friends and all together we had: Air compressor( to pump back up tires after the runs), a HELMET, #'s and Letters for what class you are in, wallet and $$. We also had a canopy because it was fairily hot out and then we had somewhere to park. try to find an autocross only site or a forum for that event and ask. -Jon

-Jon

Last edited by Yonco; 03-30-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:41 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

pretty sure those mods will bump you out of GS. Check the SCCA site.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JD1969
pretty sure those mods will bump you out of GS. Check the SCCA site.
Yeah definitely not in GS anymore with the mods you have listed. Don't worry about mods until you learn how to drive. The hardest mod to fix is the nut behind the wheel.

You might fit into STU depending on your tires and size of them but do not worry about what class you are in, get out there and drive. You are not going to be competitive until you learn what you are doing. Go out and have fun and do not pass up any chance to ride with an instructor.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

With the way your car is currently modded, you will be in a street prepared class... FSP maybe? Not sure, check with the tech person when he techs your car or go to autocrossforum and ask there.

The key to autocross is not the car, but the driver. Stock Miatas kill Mustangs, Corvettes, etc...so its not about power or how much handling your car has...well, it is all about handling...but you get what I mean.

Just run what you brung and mod only if you were planning to anyway...but don't do it just for autocross. From my experience, the more you mod, the less competitive you'll be. The best class to be in is stock... Unless you're the guy with the unlimited bank account and is always getting FTD (fastest time of day)... lol

You don't even need to upgrade your brakes...its overkill in autocross to have slotted or drilled... They are nice to have, but not necessary...

Once you get experience and start feeling that the car is holding you back from faster times, then get springs, shocks, sways, etc... Tires would be the very first mod you should do...

And remember, forget about being competitive...just have fun and forget about shaving .5 seconds off your time... lol
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Thanks, I'm going to start looking into it, there are a few events near me in the upcoming months. Can you reccomend a set of tires for my stock 16's that will perform well on the track but be reasonable for a dd.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 AM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

I like the Kumho MXs...they are awesome tires for the price, a step up from that is the Kumho XS; their brand new SCCA street tire!!!

Best street tires for autocross:

-Kumho XS
-Bridgestone RE01
-Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
-Nitto NT05
-Falken Azenis
-Kumho MX

The MXs are now out of the picture in terms of SCCA racers choice since it lost its edge to the new Azenis, Dunlop, and Bridgestone. Now the XS should put Kumho back on the top...we'll see what 2009 brings. You really can't do wrong with any of these.

These are very soft tires (high traction) so don't expect to get 30,000 miles out of them...especially if you autocross.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Don Nguyen
1st Gear Member

Just make all your standard maint is up to shape, and just go out and have fun. If there are instructors there, ask them to ride with you, and you'll be able to get a lot of it.