Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Supercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:49 PM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger questions

Well, I checked the pulleys, the crank is 6", and the SC pulley is 2.87" So I'm assuming it is the 9psi kit. I did notice however that the compression fitting air line that goes from blow off valve (I think is's called that) to the boost gauge was loose, and might have been letting air escape and hence not reading proper boost. Whatever the previous owner used to seal the fitting (looks like black RTV) didn't hold and the whole thing was loose.

BTW Luckythirteen13, I'd be interested in hearing how you like the PMS for your car. I had something similar when I ran my Chevy's, LT-1 edit and LS1 edit programs...
Old 03-12-2006, 02:17 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

so far i love my pms but have had little time to tune. i havent driven but once or twice in about 6 weeks due to an injury. now that i can drive a bit, ive been having charging and belt squeal issues. thought it was the ps pump and was about to get a new one when i bought a shorter belt that let me bypass it and run all my other accessories. the squeeling stopped but as soon as i pulled out the driveway it started again. went to pull the belt off and grazed the alt with my finger and it was boiling and i got a huge blister almost immediately. turns out the noise was teh belt slipping on the alt. get a new belt and instantly the sound was gone and 14v at idle. but now the belt jumps off my a/c. long story short...sort of....i plan to have the fixed in the next week or whenever i feel like working on it. then comes the tuning with the pms. i boosted it once with the pms...up to about 4psi of boost and at just under 4k rpm i was already running 10.5:1 afr so i have a lot of fuel to pull out and a lot of trips down the freeway to make with it. then after a run down the freeway i have to pull off, load the data from my lm-1 onto my laptop. analyze it, adjust the pms and start over till i hit my afr. then ill go to the dyno to tune the timing. i have it set to run 25* total at 12psi of boost right now but thats cause i have a methanol kit that allows me to run more. i think ill be adding a few degrees in the end but for now 25 is enough.

altho with all the starting and stopping of the engine while looking for the squeal, i can say this, my car has never idled so well or started so easy. with my 42# injectors on, starting was a bi**h even with a custom chip cause the dyno tuner did nothing for cranking fuel. so i took out just over 40% of the cranking fuel and now i barely turn the key and it fires up instantly. idle is super smooth but thats partially thanks to running the stock cam. i also have added 6* of timing at idle over factory programming and have added 6-3* of timing over factory programming (depending on rpm) while just cruzing and 10* over factory programming at low rpms when under high load and wot but that 10* tapers off to 6* at 8000rpm but i never rev that high. the extra timing is very noticable since im running i think around 30* of timing while under low amounts of boost. it really pulls hard as boost comes on because at 4k rpms im still running 27.8* total timing and that tapers off to 25.8* at 6k rpm and full boost. i still need to tune in a fail safe tune incase i run out off methanol while boosting so i dont ping and blow my motor
Old 03-12-2006, 06:19 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

Wow, sounds like I've got a lot to learn about Mustangs and their tuning LOL. 'Course, that's half the fun of it.

I too and having a squealing problem, but I think it's the supercharger belt (either internal or external). I attemted to get the belt off last night, but with the new 3 row radiator and the huge fan on it, there isn't enough room to get the belt off the crank. I can't believe the crank pulley doesn't rub the fan mounting bolts...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:04 AM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

how much did that PMS cost?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

the pms is $899 and if you have a supercharger, its best to get the 3 bar MAP sensor which is about $85 more. after shipping i paid $1002 to my door

i have a few pics of it on my website. there is a link in one of my posts above
Old 03-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Mustang95
3rd Gear Member

See wha color ur injectors are...for a 9 lbs kit ur supposed to put larger injectorsa in...If there ornage u either have a 6lbs or a 9 with no enoguh fuel...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:22 PM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

mIne are orange, (which is probably why the fuel pressure is so high). The duty cycle of my injectors is probably 110% LOL.

I think before I do anything, I'm going to try to take it to a dyno tuner to see what is going on first...

Anybody know the size of the crank pulley on a Mustang GT 1995? I wonder if I have a different pulley, most references I've seen is 6.5", and mine is 6"
Old 03-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Mustang95
3rd Gear Member

Ight well organge are the stock injectors...In order to run a 9psi u need bigger injectors...so maybe u dont have enoguh fuel goin to ur engine so its not boosting which it hink it would boost anyway, But i think u might have the 6lbs kit....
Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Mustang95
3rd Gear Member

Gte the model# off of it the go to the ford parts techinal serivice andgive them the serial # they should tell u wha u ahve in ur car cuase its ford motorsport...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

The original owner said the powerdyne kit came with a chip for the computer, that only comes with 9 psi kit.

Mustang 95, what size pulley's does your 6 psi system have?