Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

fuel tank melted from exhaust !

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 06:07 PM
stangnoob
1st Gear Member

Default fuel tank melted from exhaust !

Since the aftermarket magnaflow tailpipes are never EXACTLY going to fit right in we had to put them in as best as possible. And its slighty rubbing up agianst the fuel tank, hardly but slightly.

since the exhaust gets so damn host aswell some of the plastic on the outside of the fueltank melted to the pipe, do you forsee this as a problem? I mean it's just a little bit melted dosnt seem like any real damage, just minor cosmedic.

Also: One more question, now that i have put the mufflers on i get a smell in my car, it dosnt really smell like gas, but then agian what do i know it could be gas fumes perhaps, is this normal for aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 06:09 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: fuel tank melted from exhaust !

Did you put new cats on? Sometimes they smell funny
Old 07-06-2004, 06:56 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Well the pipes should fit alot better then that. Mine were close to the tank, I ended up turning the muffler to mid pipe and the tail pipe a bit to make it clear and line up with the rear bumper cutouts. You should really spend more time trying to get them adjusted right. Just because it is rubbing a lit bit when the car is not moving it can rub a lot more when it is moving. A good rule of thumb is if you can wrap your hand around it you have enough clearance. Maganflows fit and finish is second to none, and they should not hit anywhere.

Plus rubbing on the tank shield is not good, if it where to get to the tank, that's one big bomb. I work in automation and rubbing even if it is alittle bit is a No-No. Sure it will wear in and stop rubbing eventually but now you are comprimising the system. In this case your gas tank.

It took about 45mins to bolt the system on the car and another 30-45 mins to get it lined up right and not hitting anywhere.

The smell is usually the stainless steel heating up and burning the oils and stuff off it. It should go away in a couple of days, it can smell pretty bad sometimes.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:46 PM
stangnoob
1st Gear Member

i spent about an hour trying to adjust them, and eventually i have to heat the tube to get it closer. The pipes fit absolutely horrible, but thats besides the point. They sound really well, and flow better.

I'm just hopeing the fuel tank is gonna be alright.