Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

what's the best platform to start with guys ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
VegasTurbo

Default what's the best platform to start with guys ?

hey guys i posted the following in the 'new members area' but figured i'd put it here to try to get some responses from those of you who are more in the 'know' currently...

it's time to do another stang, and it's been a few years since my last one, but i've got the urge to do another boosted street/strip pony and was wondering how good these newer mod motors are for modifiying, or if i should just get another fox body and build it with a good stroker and heads ??
is the 99 GT a good starting point ? is it a PI motor, and is a nonPI a better starting point since the addition of PI parts makes more power ??
the following is cut/paste of my previous post :
__________________________________________________ _______________________

hey guys, newbie to the forum here, but no newbie toracing or mustangs...

i'm a foxbody guy from back in the day, 93GT w/tons o' goodies and lots of boost..
however alas, someone thought they needed my ride more than i did and decided to steal it a few years ago...

since then i've kinda drifted away from the mustang scene, i've got a power stroke diesel with lots of mods and tons of horsepower, but i picked up a copy of MMFF at the store the other day and while looking thru i got the 'bug' again and decided it's time for another 'stang..

being a 5.o guy i'd like to ask you guys your opinions on the mod motors and which ones in general are worth fixing up and which ones are gonna take less to make some power with.

should i try to get another nice fox body since they are older and very reasonably priced nowadays, or do these newer ones offer a decent performance starting point ??

i'm asking because i really don't know too much yet about what years had what motors recently , i know that there are 2v's, 3v's, and 4v's out there.. i know the 4valves are the cobra ones, and i'm not really looking for a cobra (unless it's a foxbody 93)..
but i've got a chance to pick up a '99 GT from a buddy of mine for a smokin' deal...
5speed, all stock runs good... this would be the 4.6 2v right ? is it a good motor to start with ? one that i could do some basics to first like intake, throttle body, and put a good turbo kit on it ?? i've built many turbo kits over the years for many cars so this would not be a problem but i want to start with a good one. when did the 3valve motors come out ?

i read about the PI motors and things like putting ported PI heads and PI intakes on NONPI motors and picking up close to 100 ponies.. which one is the 99, when did this "pi" start ?

do you think the 99GT is a good starting point for a killer street/strip build ?
ultimate goal is daily driveable (at least has to have street manners, but mostly a weekend car) with over 500RWHP.. 600 even better, but i see no need for 700or more on a street car, my PSD superduty puts over 650HP to the ground and it's starting to really lose it's street manners....

i welcome your guys' input and hope to back on top of the current "goings on" of the mustang world, i'm almost embarassed at my lack of knowledge on the current cars..

the fox is going to be cheap and relatively easy to build i already know this, but i also know that (at least i think i do, correct me if i'm wrong) that i need a later year in order to be able to take advantage of things like SCT tuning ?? my PSD is SCT tuned and i definitely want to be able to full tuning capabilities with something like that since the final product will definitely have forced induction, i'm a boost junkie !! [align=right][/align]

i thank you in advance for your input guys can't wait to be back !
danny
Old 07-26-2008, 08:30 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: what's the best platform to start with guys ?

for availability alone i like 5.0's

but out of 6 mustangs... the newest was my current '93 so i might be biased, i also like the weight savings
Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 AM
VegasTurbo

yeah i'm a little partial to the foxes myself too, but i've got an opportunity to pick up the 99 for a deal almost too good to pass up ...

so was just wondering what the general opinion of the 2v mod motor for that year range of car was... ??

and curious when the nonPI switched to PI to know what it's got...
Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

99 and up are the pi heads. I would not mess with any thing less then the PI heads but the bestof all would just move straight over to the 4 valve motors.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 AM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

Go for a fox bro. they are so easy to build and mod, resulting in tons of horsepower even on a junkyard budget. powerstroke huh, what kinda mods. (im a big diesel fan as well )
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
VegasTurbo

ORIGINAL: floodzilla

Go for a fox bro. they are so easy to build and mod, resulting in tons of horsepower even on a junkyard budget. powerstroke huh, what kinda mods. (im a big diesel fan as well )
look in my other post in the newbie welcome section i posted this same question there and in a response i listed some of the mods on the PSD
Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
VegasTurbo

ORIGINAL: uedlose

99 and up are the pi heads. I would not mess with any thing less then the PI heads but the bestof all would just move straight over to the 4 valve motors.
it's either gonna be finding another fox body or picking up this one, because i'm getting a good deal on the 99 from friend..

i was just wondering if it was better to get a nonPI motor and put the PI top end on it since i heard that's good for about 100ponies...
but since this is a PI motor, i would just break the bread and put a set of trickflow or whatever the recomended head for that model would be.. is there still a lot of 'unlocked' power to be had on this motor or is gonna come down to a full internal build and positive pressure before i have enough power to have a little fun with ?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:44 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

if you are talking about a after market head for the 4.6 there is none that are not Ford castings to start with as far as I know. that is one of the draw backs with the 4.6 other then the 4 valve heads there just is not much out there. there are a lot of people that have CNC port programs out for them now so that will help out a lot. But ifI was gone to do a 4.6 I would just start with the 4 valve heads from the start and be done with it they move lots of air for now and later down the road. IMO.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
VegasTurbo

there aren't companies like edelbrock or twisted flow that make aftermarket heads for the 4.6L ??

i can't imagine that.... and i'm sure that you can't just put 4v heads on a 2v right ?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 AM
fastford20

Default RE: what'

i would stay far far away from 2v as i think they are inferior to 3v. ive had 2 foxes and split BOTH blocks almost completely in half with about 450rwhp, even though it put a huge smile on my face i did need new motors. id do a fox with a boss block and turbod for an easy 600-700 hp... my 2 cents