Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Stock bypass valve question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

mustang51js, keep us updated on your dyno gains. but just so you know, you dont have to keep it under 2000rpms, you just have to stay out of boost. you can go up to 4000rpms with no worries just dont give it more then half throttle so you stay out of boost
Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

the reason i kept it under 2000rpm was i thought i might be lean, the car would sputter after that, but once i found out what was causing it on the way home i drove it normal and it was ok but still sputtered.Once i put the second valve on it didnt sputter untill i hit higher rpms,but dec 1 i go back and i'll post my results up.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
Your stock bosch Bypass valve should not be the problem. I run the stock Bypass w/a 2.95 S/C pulley, AFM powerpipe and 15psi with 0 surge or problems. The stock Bypass is a very capable unit.
i heard they were only good to 8 psi,my car sounded worse than the video in the other thread,soon as he started hitting the gas it was shooting off. I got the mondo one because its good up to 25psi and if i plan on going with more boost i wont need another one plus it was like $20 more than the mini race bov
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Charged04GT

i know that this is going to sound stupid but if i wanted to switch from the bypass valve to a BOV how would i do it? would i need to weld a flange on to connect it or do they make a BOV to replace where the bypass is? if they dont make a direct replacement BOV where should i install the BOV? on the discharge tube?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

for the mondo bov i got i have to weld a new piece in because the new pipe is bigger, i think with the same size you should be able to use the same hoses.not 100% sure
Old 11-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
Your stock bosch Bypass valve should not be the problem. I run the stock Bypass w/a 2.95 S/C pulley, AFM powerpipe and 15psi with 0 surge or problems. The stock Bypass is a very capable unit.
you might be able to get away with that for now, on a non intercooled setup. But on an intercooled setup the bosch is waay too small. the inlet and outlet are tiny. It is meant for oem type applications where you dont see more than 10psi. You could have boost leak and not even know it. they use the same bypass valve on volkswagon jettas to put it into perspective. The powerpipe doesnt have anything to do with it really. What matters is how much volume of air the valve must release when you let off the gas. if you are running non intercooled it only has to dump the air between the blower and the throttle body. when you add intercooler the valve must release all the air thats in the intercooler and all the boost piping. if you try to use the bosch it will surge like crazy and hurt the supercharger
Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Charged04GT

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
you might be able to get away with that for now, on a non intercooled setup. But on an intercooled setup the bosch is waay too small. the inlet and outlet are tiny. It is meant for oem type applications where you dont see more than 10psi. You could have boost leak and not even know it. they use the same bypass valve on volkswagon jettas to put it into perspective. The powerpipe doesnt have anything to do with it really. What matters is how much volume of air the valve must release when you let off the gas. if you are running non intercooled it only has to dump the air between the blower and the throttle body. when you add intercooler the valve must release all the air thats in the intercooler and all the boost piping. if you try to use the bosch it will surge like crazy and hurt the supercharger

cool man thx for the help.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
The truth of the matter is, while what you are saying does make sense, with boost, there are so many problems that could cause the sputtering issue. My car would sputter when I had a very subtle boost leak. When my plugs were gapped to high, the car would sputter as well. Again different experiences for different people. Also, I used the powerpipe as a reference for boost. I picked up 6psi from adding one. Add that, plus my 2.95 pulley and I have 15psi. Now the OP is NOT intercooled, so he is safe running the stock bypass valve. There's no need to upgrade if you do not have too. Also, to the OP, you say you want to run a BOV vs a bypass valve. The only way that you will be able to do that is to run a blow through MAF vs your current draw through version.