Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

turbo questions!??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:58 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

Default turbo questions!??

I dont know much about upgrades and mods. I have a 2000 GT and im wondering about the price of the entire turbo package and what else needs to be done, any suggestion will help.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Default RE: turbo questions!??

Check out www.cartech.com
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

It varies alot on the vendor & the price of the parts used. Some turbochargers cost more than others, some pipes cost more than others, ect, ect... Then you have to factor in the labor cost of that vendor. When I make mine I charge the cost of the parts used + $700 labor.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:16 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

Could I run low PSI and not have to beef up the internals?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:38 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stilllearnin

If you run a sc, yeah, but it'd be silly to do that on twin turbos because they cost 7k + install/tune whereas a sc costs 4k + install/tune. If you're not going to beef up the internals, and if you're not going for a 650+ rwhp monster, get a sc. Check out www.modularpowerhouse.com. You can pretty easily make under 400 rwhp with one of their mongoose kits on a stock engine AND maintain the car's reliability.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You'd be find running mid psi aswell.
ORIGINAL: DreamKing
If you run a sc, yeah, but it'd be silly to do that on twin turbos because they cost 7k + install/tune whereas a sc costs 4k + install/tune. If you're not going to beef up the internals, and if you're not going for a 650+ rwhp monster, get a sc. Check out www.modularpowerhouse.com. You can pretty easily make under 400 rwhp with one of their mongoose kits on a stock engine AND maintain the car's reliability.
But the turbo setup will produce quite a bit more power than the supercharger will at the same boost levels.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 AM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

So, which do you guys suggest? Turbocharger/Supercharger?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:01 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

If you have the money and are willing to shell it out, Turbo it. You can run lower boost pressure and make the same power. You could get a cool "woosh" sound with a huge *** BOV too.

If it were me I would save some money and run the Supercharger. A Supercharger system is going to be easier to work on and tune IMO. Your stock engine can only handle so much and, a S/C could easily get you to those limits. A Turbo in a stock GT application is a little overkill in my opinion. A well constructed kit at 8-10psi could crank out over 500HP where your motor wouldnt be very safe to go past 450. You also spent that extra 3-4k on a Tubro kit that you cant utilize the potential from because of your stock internals and, might I add, you paid a lot for that potential! A cheaper S/C with a low boost level will easily put your engine at its limits for a much cheaper price. If I were building a Forged engine then yes, I would Turbo hands down. For a stock application, I cant see the justification in running the Turbo due to the limitations of the stock rotating assembly.

No wait... I take that back... If it were me I would Juice that bish up and out torque 'em both! w00p!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra
If you have the money and are willing to shell it out, Turbo it. You can run lower boost pressure and make the same power. You could get a cool "woosh" sound with a huge *** BOV too.

If it were me I would save some money and run the Supercharger. A Supercharger system is going to be easier to work on and tune IMO. Your stock engine can only handle so much and, a S/C could easily get you to those limits. A Turbo in a stock GT application is a little overkill in my opinion. A well constructed kit at 8-10psi could crank out over 500HP where your motor wouldnt be very safe to go past 450. You also spent that extra 3-4k on a Tubro kit that you cant utilize the potential from because of your stock internals and, might I add, you paid a lot for that potential! A cheaper S/C with a low boost level will easily put your engine at its limits for a much cheaper price. If I were building a Forged engine then yes, I would Turbo hands down. For a stock application, I cant see the justification in running the Turbo due to the limitations of the stock rotating assembly.

No wait... I take that back... If it were me I would Juice that bish up and out torque 'em both! w00p!
A turbo will be able to produce quite a bit more power on a stock engine. If your engine will break at 450hp then you are only going to be able to get about 380hp to the wheels with a supercharger, with a turbo it would be more around 420whp. That's 40 hp difference & the more the boost goes up the bigger the difference.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

So, which do you guys suggest? Turbocharger/Supercharger?
If you have money, turbo. If you don't & can weld & cut pipes I would still suggest going the junkyard turbo route. The supercharger route if you don't have much money & can't weld/cut metal.

Quick Reply: turbo questions!??