Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

boost, is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Default boost, is this possible?

So, I was driving home thinking about nothing and everything, and this idea popped into my head. What if you had a tank in your trunk filled with say 100psi of compressed air with a regulator on it that you could set to output a certain pressure. Then run a line to your intake manifold somehow from that tank and have a switch in the inside of the car to open up the compressed air to the intake. It would be like nitrous, but with boost. It would be much cheaper than a conventional forced induction setup and cheaper than nitrous, because you could just fill it at your house. It wouldn't draw power from the engine like a supercharger and you could hit it at any rpm unlike a turbo. a fine-tuned amount of cheap boost that doesn't suck horsepower, at any rpm, at the flip of a switch? I understand you have to tune engines to really benefit from boost but maybe there's a way around this like tune-on-the-fly real quick when you press the button and then de-tune when you release? This has tons of holes but it would eat me alive if I didn't present it to people who could explain it to me better. Input please?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

If it were possible, you would need much more than 100 psi, I'd say to make it last you'd want a 4500 psi tank, and I wouldn't want that in my trunk lol. I mean your idea is essentially nitrous, and if I am thinking correctly the reason why nitrous is used over compressed air is because it contains more oxygen. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:36 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

it wont work, before the air could pressure the motor the extra pressure would feed back down the intake and out the air filter. pressure like electricity and running water, takes the path of least resistance
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

It wouldn't draw power from the engine like a supercharger and you could hit it at any rpm unlike a turbo.[/QUOTE

unlike a turbo? i can get on my car at any rpm?????
Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_fed_03gt
It wouldn't draw power from the engine like a supercharger and you could hit it at any rpm unlike a turbo.[/QUOTE

unlike a turbo? i can get on my car at any rpm?????
If your car makes boost at any rpm you spent an *** load of money... My point was that a normal turbo setup won't spool until higher rpms...?