Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Not building boost with Vortech, Boost Leak Test Passed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 PM
LemensTS

Default Not building boost with Vortech, Boost Leak Test Passed

I built a boost leak tester and took the air filter off the inlet of the supercharger, and put the boost leak test on it instead.

I turned the pressure on my air compressor down to around 10psi.
I looked at my boost gauge in the car and it creeped up to 5psi before blowing my boost leak tester off the supercharger. I did not block off the piping before the throttle body, I just pressurized the whole system.

I heard some air moving around the EGR area, did not feel it coming out but did not look THAT hard. Did not hear air coming out of the pipes/couplers anywhere.

ANYWAYS, here is the issue. I noticed at 3000rpm when boost is supposed to start building, the boost gauge just stays at 0psi up to 6000rpm when I let off.

Now from seeing the boost gauge go up to 5psi during the leak down test, I know that the gauge is working and the system is capable of holding boost.

What else could it be? Only thing I can think of is there is an issue with the Supercharger or the BOV/BPV right after it.

BOV/BPV - When I pressurised the system, it would of put pressure at the nipple on the BPV which would of closed the valve and prevented boost from escaping which is good. If the BPV was broke and stuck shut, I should still be building boost. One thing I just thought of, was to unhook the vac line to the BPV nipple and pressurize the system to see if it escapes through the BPV that way. I'm not sure that would tell me anything anyways. Could it still be the issue?

Now for the vortech supercharger...I am not an expert at these things. Is there something with it that could be causing these issues? I've heard of internal bypass valves that could be bypassing the air from going into the piping to the intercooler?

Also sometimes when I start the car up and take off, it wants to die at idle. I usually drive for 1/4 to 1/2 mile and at the stop sign I have to turn the car off and back on, it usually fixes it. I've only had the car for a month so I do not know if that is related or not.

One other thing I was thinking was maybe the supercharger belt is slippin. Driving down the road you can hear a whining, I have assumed this is the BPV being open letting air out.

Any ideas?

MODS:
Here are the mods to make it easier: Vortech V1 T-Trim, SCT BA2600 MAF, ACCUFAB Throttle Body, C&L Plenum, MSD Coil Packs, 39LB Injectors, Mac Long Tube Headers, 4.10 Gears, SCT x4 Programmer, Underdrive Pulleys, Magnapack Dumps, Vortec BOV, FMIC
Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You need to put a vacuum gun on your vacuum lines and put vacuum on it and pressure. That will tell you if the bypass is broken most likely. After you eliminate the bypass, then worry about the rest.

You would build some boost if it was belt slip.

The SC could be bad. But you would need you call Vortech and ask how to diagnose.