Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

02 GT Procharger P1SC questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Aws

Default 02 GT Procharger P1SC questions

The P1 advertises 8psi and 60% HP increase. What are some upgrades I should consider before purchasing? Also, anyone run the P1 for a while regret it or wish they went another direction?

A little about the car... Purchased a 2002 GT over 3 years ago stock with 28k on her. In that time all I've done is intake, mrt catted H with magnaflow comp catback, MGW short throw, and put 24k miles on her. Looking to upgrade the clutch to the excedy mach400 stage 2, lightweight flywheel, and considering the hydraulic conversion from McLeod. Opinions on that are welcome.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aws
The P1 advertises 8psi and 60% HP increase. What are some upgrades I should consider before purchasing? Also, anyone run the P1 for a while regret it or wish they went another direction?
Several years ago I was in the same exact spot as you. I went with a fuel pump and injector upgrades for both my P1SC install and enough to support future upgrades. I upgraded the clutch and kept the stock flywheel but had it resurfaced since the clutch was going in. I also had some subframe connectors welded in, which turned out to be one of the best supporting upgrades. I have better traction with almost 400 rwhp as I did before the upgrade.

I was able to daily drive it year round in that configuration for 2 years before deciding to go with a more commuter and winter friendly car. It's been a weekend warrior for almost a decade now and with over 60k on the head unit it's ready for a rebuild.

My only regret is how my car was tuned. The shop that did the work was a popular Supra shop but had a couple of Mustang guys that were supposed to be really good. I was happy with the driveable tune that made the power they promised, but I found out after I had the 3.73 gears installed that they were sending the chip back and forth to ProCharger to update the tune. So when my gears were changed, I had to send my chip in to have it updated to make the speedometer accurate. They really didn't want to do it for me but did so reluctantly. They also turned my traction control setting to 'On' by default, which was originally turned off when the original install was done. Now I have to remember to turn traction control off every time I start the car so I don't have the computer cutting fuel on me at full boost when the traction starts to break. I really wish I went with a shop/ECM solution that could be modified on-site and more easily adjusted.

The next phase of my GT's life is about to get underway. I'm back after being away from the forum for many years to begin researching my next project. I'm sourcing a block and starting a forged internal build so I can replace my trusty and tired 2v 4.6 with a 4v version and up the boost a bit. Once I can get the performance bar raised closer to 600 streetable horses, I plan to give the old gal a facelift to address some of the issues caused by Midwest winters and time.

That's really the only other regret - not going bigger the first time. No matter what performance level you reach, it will be great for a few years and then you'll want more. Keep in mind what your motor can handle and always error on the side of going with a supporting mod that can scale upwards when needed, as you will definitely be adding more power down the road. It's inevitable and unavoidable.