Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Air ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:15 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Air ride

Anyone know of any new Stangs on air? Just looking for some info on this.. I want that no gap look but it looks like its going to be alot harder to acheive then I thought. I know I want rims bigger than 18's because IMO they just dont look big enough but I think 20's are just too big.. so I want 19's. Only problem is that its extremely hard to find 19's int he width I want and even when I do, they could possibly rub with an aftermarket suspension kit.. so Im thinking Im going to need something where I can adjust the ride height. Now ever since I got into cars, when I was like 14, I had always heard from everyone that coilovers were by far the best thing you could put on your car, but lately people are saying the kits out for our cars blow and that they dont really help as much as as a set of lowering springs and some Dspecs. Theyre saying you need all this expensive equipment and everything to adjust ride hieght on a set of CO's where as I always heard you simply stick a screw driver or something or the like in there and twist. Soooo now Im trying to get some info on air.. Ive heard the ride quality is good but anyone know anything else or have any advice?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Air ride

There are different types of air suspensions but similar principle. There are the aftermarket airbag set ups, then there are air ride suspensions from manufacturers like range rover/bmw etc. But imho, you would end up spending a good chunk of change on a decent set of parts. Dont know of any out specifically for the mustang so it would have to be custom which would probably require cutting and welding. Then there are also potential problems; leaks, gas, and legal: unstable suspension (ticketable offense). This usually applies for almost all and every aftermarket air set up (usually bags). If your car is a project car and have an amazing shop you could probably do it. Why dont you just get a set of coilovers, the eibachs have been tested and work fine. They are a reputable company and back their products. If you really want to fill out that gap, just go 20" with the sportline drop and tokicos and call it a day. The ride is still driveable and not bad at all. the wheels/tires will sit flush with the fenders and with virtually no gap and the stance will be absolutely stunning.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:01 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I realized it might not be cheap but Im just wondering if that would be the better (though more expensive) way to go. Im all for doing something right the first time isntead of having to do it multiple times to get it right. Dunno, right now air just seems to tickle my fancy and it seems to be the only thing that will satisfy me....I have yet to have anyone or anything persuade me otherwise. Everything else just doesnt look as appealing. Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions?

I guess it could be worse right? I could have asked about hydraulics [8D]
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

It's funny how the person that chastised others about carbon fiber wants air suspension talk about rice... The only people I know putting air suspension on cars are rice and low riders.

But anyways, with adjustable ride height, you are never going to have the same camber setting and your rearend will never be centered because if you set them and then change the ride height 1/4" everything is off again.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:28 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Well find me something else that can serve all my purposes and Ill disregard the air plan. It is the only thing that I can come up with that will allow me to have the pieces that I want and still be a good ride. When I asked about coilovers all I got were you "suspension gurus" telling me that they were POS's and that adjusting them was hard as hell and you basically need to take it to a shop everytime you adjust the height. And who says low riders are bad? Again with the opinions? I happen to think alot of older cars (which were considered muscle cars back then) look decent on air. Im not talking about hydraulics or huge bags so I can raise the car up 14" above the ground or make it hop around like a frog, just something so I can raise it enough to have no wheel gap, and if there is a big speed bump, pull it up some to clear body panels.. now sure how thats rice but o well.

Do all cars on air have this centering and camber problem? I dont know much about it aside from what I read on some sites, Im just now looking into it and researching it. I only asked if anyone knew anything because I wanted to know more and if there was another solution to my problem, not so people could come in and start something else.... I swear some of yall LOOK for fights.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:04 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

All cars with air suspension have issues with camber and any car with a panhard bar is going to have problems with the axle being centered. It's the same reason you need an alignment and an adjustable panhard bar when lowering your car.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:35 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

All cars with air suspension have issues with camber and any car with a panhard bar is going to have problems with the axle being centered. It's the same reason you need an alignment and an adjustable panhard bar when lowering your car.
So, any other suggestions besides air? Is it the same with *cringe*... hydraulics?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

No, all adjustable suspensions are going to have these problems due to suspension geometry.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Glengemen
2nd Gear Member

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...NewBlue027.jpg
This is 20" wheels, and a 1.5" drop. If possible I would go with 21" because to me they look like they could go bigger.
Still tall enough to go anywhere a mustang should without scraping, without that 4x4 look.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2720/E77E683FF9914F55AD87B289DC9FE6AF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-24-2006, 01:51 AM
monkey_man_COD

I have a buddy with a Audi A4 that has 19s. He dropped the car 2 inches and got the fenders extended a little less than an inch all around. He also has Bilstein shocks, which are basically the best you can have in shocks if you are looking for performance handling ... The front does have coilovers, only i dont know what kind. The rear is just a straight axle since its rear-wheel drive. Friggin awesome ride - its definitely worth payin a bunch to get the fenders extended - makes the car look totally awesome.