Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

lca's causing a poping/clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Default lca's causing a poping/clunking noise

I never heard this noise until I installed my lca's. At first I thought it was the e-brake line hitting the arms, so I put a couple more zip ties on it. But after I zipped tied the hell out of it, it still continues to make a sort of poping/clunking noise. I can easily tell the noise is comming from the back buy the fender wells (both sides), and it only happens immediately after i go over a bump. It is becoming really annoying, any help would be much appreciated!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: lca's causing a poping/clunking noise

It sounds like they were installed improperly and now your torque boxes are making noise. When you have ANY suspension component installed on a stang, the vehicle MUST be set down on its own weight BEFORE the bolts are tightened. What winds up happening is the bushing gets tightened down with, lets say the rear axle hanging, then when you set the car down itll actually twist up the bushings and make noise. I say you loosen all the attaching bolts, set the car on its own weight then retighten, that should take care of the problem, unless there was torque box damage (look for cracks,etc.).
-P.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

P Zero's comments are worth checking into. However, on a suspension with polyurethane bushings, this is rare occurance. Poly bushings can pivot. OEM rubber bushings cannot, becasue the rubber is literally bonded to the various parts involved.

Do you have any other mods on your car? Is it lowered? I have found that unless there is a loose bolt involved, 9 times out of 10 clunking in the rear end is a result of improper pinion angle.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Please explain what an ICA is.
I have no idea what you're talking about and I have a clunking noise coming from the front end.

Wolfey
07 4.0 GT Pony Package.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:59 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

LCA = lower control arm. This is part of the rear suspension which is commonly upgraded to reduce traction and wheelhop issues on the GTs.

We're talking about clunking coming from the rear of the car.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 PM
fl_799
1st Gear Member

This might be the answer to my problems. I've been chasing around some rear end pops and clunking and have checked the torque on the stuff I installed (UCA, rear sway bay, panhard bar) and pinion angle 5 times already. I would have swore it was the UCA with heim joing on the car side but I believe AL when he says this can not be the issue.

I know for a fact that the shop that installed my shocks, springs and LCA's did the entire job on a lift. I'm going out there right this moment, loosen the LCA's and torque them under the weight of the car. This has GOT to be solution.

James
ORIGINAL: P Zero

It sounds like they were installed improperly and now your torque boxes are making noise. When you have ANY suspension component installed on a stang, the vehicle MUST be set down on its own weight BEFORE the bolts are tightened. What winds up happening is the bushing gets tightened down with, lets say the rear axle hanging, then when you set the car down itll actually twist up the bushings and make noise. I say you loosen all the attaching bolts, set the car on its own weight then retighten, that should take care of the problem, unless there was torque box damage (look for cracks,etc.).
-P.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I do not have any other suspension moddifications, but i will try to loosen and re-tighten the bolts with weight on them but I dont know what a torque box is, unless you are refering to where the gears are located, and i dont know how to check the pinion angle either.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 PM
fl_799
1st Gear Member

Torque box is just the control arm mounting point on the chassis side. The point was made that an improper install could pull or damage the mounting point.

Measuring pinion angle is easy. You need an angle finder from Lowe or Home depot. There is tons of info on how to do this on this forum and all over the internet.

BTW, my issue is solved. My LCA's were way under torqued from the shop that did the install. I tightned all 4 bolts to 90 foot pounds and everything is good to go. As one could imagine, the pops and clunks going over bumps are a thing of the past.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you have adjustable lower control arms make damn sure the jam nuts are tight! Use locktite! They can look tight and feel tight to your fingers, but if they aren't wrench tight then they aren't tight enough. It only takes them being slightly loose to cause noise when the suspension moves, they'll seem tight until the car starts to move up and down.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 AM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fl_799

Torque box is just the control arm mounting point on the chassis side. The point was made that an improper install could pull or damage the mounting point.

Measuring pinion angle is easy. You need an angle finder from Lowe or Home depot. There is tons of info on how to do this on this forum and all over the internet.

BTW, my issue is solved. My LCA's were way under torqued from the shop that did the install. I tightned all 4 bolts to 90 foot pounds and everything is good to go. As one could imagine, the pops and clunks going over bumps are a thing of the past.
What is the recommeded torque spec's on the LCA?. From Ford, they recommend 129 ftlbs and that seems a bit on the tight side.

Quick Reply: lca's causing a poping/clunking noise