Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

sport lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:02 AM
cartsand7

Default sport lines

I recently installed sport lines and panhard bar on my 06 gt. The ride is not that bad, but what else can i do to improve my ride.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:20 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: sport lines

Get a set of Tokico D-Spec struts and shocks. You can adjust the ride quality to get what you like. Earl
Old 12-29-2006, 12:34 AM
cartsand7

Thanks earl, I will do that.
[hr]
06 blk gt, sport lines springs,steeda short throw, jlt tca /.tune, ford racing tach, blk 20 inch bullits,pypes exhaust haeders,xpipe,mufflers
Old 12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Personally, I went with Bilstein shocks for two reasons. The Tokico shocks are not a true adjustable performance shock. They are only single adjustable, meaning you can adjust your ride quality but not performance. Second, they are not rebuildable. The Koni's that will be out soon will be double adjustable, and can be rebuilt when they're worn out. Far better investment. If you just want a better performance and better ride quality and don't want to have to adjust and tweak things, go with Bilsteins. They're awesome.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:29 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

Personally, I went with Bilstein shocks for two reasons. The Tokico shocks are not a true adjustable performance shock. They are only single adjustable, meaning you can adjust your ride quality but not performance. Second, they are not rebuildable. The Koni's that will be out soon will be double adjustable, and can be rebuilt when they're worn out. Far better investment. If you just want a better performance and better ride quality and don't want to have to adjust and tweak things, go with Bilsteins. They're awesome.

Hi RodeoFlyer,

It really bugs me when well meaning people post incorrect information and pass it off as fact. It also adds to the wealth of misinformation and misunderstanding that people reading these threads unfortunately use in making purchasing decisions.

Where did you get your information, it is simply incorrect. What line of Bilstein dampers are you talking about? The only line of Bilstein dampers available at the moment are Bilstein'sHDdamper lineand they areNOTperformance dampers, they arehigh pressure gas monotube replacement O.E. dampers with full length piston rods. The Bilstein HD line of dampers are not suitable forlowered cars with high rate sportsprings. This is becausetheO.E. design spec rod lengths and soft comfort orientedvalving of the Bilstein HD damperline. IF and when Bilstein releasesBilstein Sport dampers for the S197 chassisthey will meet Bilstein Sport specs with shortened piston rods and performance oriented valving. The problem is that Bilstein has never committed to building a Bilstein Sport strut and damper set for the S197 chassis.

Koni recently has becomea much more sporting oriented company in terms of delivering products suitable forstreet performanceand racing use. Koni is everywhere in motorsports after the scare that Bilstein put into them back in the late 70's early 80's. Koni got lot more agressive in marketing to motorsports and street performance applications after they were getting beaten on the race track and in the marketplace by Bilstein. If and when Koni releasesadouble adjustable strut and damper set for the S197 chassis remains to be seen as doestheir performance range and ease of adjustability.Traditionally Koni adjustable strtus and dampers require removing the strut ordamper from the car to make adjustments. Thishas always been the problem with Koni dampers because of their foot valve design. This was improved in the Koni Sport damper line but theKoni Sport linehas a single adjusterjust like the Tokico D-Spec dampersdo. Koni's race dampers usually have seperate adjusters anddepending on the application a remote mounted gas reservor. Are the new Koni's you mention race spec dampers or street dampers?

As to Tokico struts and dampers not being "true adjustable performance"damperswhat criteria are youusing? It's certainly isnot adjustability as Tokico D-Specs have the widestdamping rates available ofany adjustable damper system for the S197 chassis. Tokico's dampingrates are indeed adjustable, the relationship between bump and rebounddamping isvariable and presetby the valve stack by Tokico as spec'ed by Steeda's engineering people. Both the bump and compression change as you adjust the damping **** exactly as aKoni Sport orBilstein Sport strutor damper does when adjusted. Both Koni's and Bilstein's Sport linesmake great street performance dampers and are definetlynot race level dampers by any stretch of the imagination.

Here is a news flash for you,Tokico D-Specscan be rebuilt.During the development of the D-Specs for the S197 chassis Tokico built and rebuilt struts and dampers over and overfor Steeda totrack test. Steeda would ask for changes and Tokico would rebuild them with different valving, button them up and ship them back to Steeda for more testing. The issueis not that the dampers cannotbe rebuilt but thatTokicodoes not offer this service to the general public. If a Tokico damper is worn outor damaged itis usually covered by Tokico warranty and if not just buy new,IMO Tokicosare very inexpensive and about the same costas having aBilstein or Koni Sportrebuilt or re-valved.

HTH

Old 01-01-2007, 07:39 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Nice post. Very informative.

Dave Kegel
Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Damn nice writeup F1Fan.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I got my information from the guys at Maximum Motorsports. you are welcome to call them up and tell them all of their track time and r&d has been a waste, and that they have become so big by feeding people crap lol
Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

I got my information from the guys at Maximum Motorsports. you are welcome to call them up and tell them all of their track time and r&d has been a waste, and that they have become so big by feeding people crap lol

Hi RodeoFlyer,

What information did you get from MM andwhat is your contact person at MM so I can call and ask them the right questions to help clarify the misinformation you got from them. While we're at itallow me to directyou to the Bilstein website whereBilstein explains the differences between their different strut/damper lines, I'm pretty sure that MM already knows the differences. Maybe you misunderstood what MM said or you toldMM that you didn't want to hurt your ride comfort and they suggested Bilstein HD line dampers for a nice soft ride or maybe you have a problem with a brand that is closely associated with ricers and name snobery has a certain appeal to you or maybe MM was offering an X-mas bonus for sales dollars and the Tokico's would put the sales guy too far back to make the bonus. Whatever the reason, from the current Bilstein website:

[align=left]GETTING THE RIDE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU[/align][align=left]Bilstein mono-tube gas pressure shock absorbers are available in a wide variety of sizes and stiffness settings, depending[/align][align=left]upon the vehicle type and use. All Bilstein shocks absorbers instantaneously self-adjust to changing road surfaces; in addition,[/align][align=left]their performance does not gradually decline from age, use or heat, requiring no compensating manual adjustments as[/align][align=left]with conventional multi-tube shocks. Shock stiffness settings are divided into five usage categories shown below.[/align][align=left]SPORT (S)[/align][align=left]For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface.[/align][align=left]Designed to push a car’s suspension to it’s performance peak, these shocks are well suited for use with special springs, antisway[/align][align=left]bars or other suspension upgrades.[/align][align=left]HEAVY DUTY (HD)[/align][align=left]For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without[/align][align=left]sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use,[/align][align=left]while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.[/align][align=left]COMFORT (C)[/align][align=left]For the driver who wants maximum ride comfort, with the virtual elimination of “bottoming out” and vehicle sway.[/align][align=left]These shocks generally maintain and, in many cases, enhance a vehicle’s original ride qualities while increasing[/align][align=left]road-handling and overall stability.[/align][align=left]5100 SERIES[/align][align=left]For specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock OEM mounting configuration.[/align][align=left]Self-adjusting deflective disc valving, Independent rebound and compression with superior control for larger diameter tires.[/align][align=left]RALLE, RACE[/align][align=left]For rigorous demands of driving competition. Their success should be measured by the unprecedented levels of acceptance[/align][align=left]and use by professional drivers in virtually all major Motorsports.[/align][align=left]Include such features as spherical bearings, adjustable spring seats longer or shorter than standard dimensions. *Not suited[/align][align=left]for street use.
[/align]
AsIpreviously posted and per Bilstein's own currently published information which has for over 20 yearsapproacheddampers the same way with different lines developed for appropriateuse and applicationthe Bilstein HD line is simply an improved OE replacement damper line. The Bilstein HD line is not designed or valved for sport or performance applications. For a performance street application on the S197 chassis you wouldneed a part number fromBilstein's Sport damper linewhich unfortunately they do not currently offer and at this time have no release date for the S197 chassis.

Hmmm, based on the products thatMM isoffering for sale to the general public at the momentMM has very little to show for all their R&D. I'm sure that MM will have well developed products for sale for the S197 chassis someday but so far they have zip to sell other than springs and dampers that otherperformance companies have already developed, tested and raced on for the last 2 seasons. I'm pretty sure that MM's R&D is not going to waste as they are supplying their own teams with their potential new products. It is curious though to note that if MM's products are so superior overtheir undeveloped competition from Steeda, BMR, Saleen etc. parts why are the MM supported cars being dominated bycars with such inferior parts? One has to wonder.

So maybe your are right about MM and they got big by feeding people crap. I don't think so though,but I doubt that MM will have any impact or much of a market to sell to if they ever get their act together and release the newsuspension components to the rest of us.

HTH

Old 01-02-2007, 11:03 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Hi RadioFlyer,
F1Fan has been giving excellent information on suspension on this forum for a long time and has helped many members. I know he sure helped me when I was trying to decide what suspension setup to go with after getting my Stang. He has always been helpful to the inexperienced and never tries to talk down to anyone. If you are going to try and fire broadsides you should make sure you have loaded cannons.
Earl

Quick Reply: sport lines