Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New Motor Mounts, one installed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default New Motor Mounts, one installed.

So I got my Bullet motor mounts a week ago and yesterday I went to install them. It would be an easy install. I was able to get the passeneger side in no problem. Now the driver side I had a problem and didn't finish. There always has to be some minor problem. One of the bolts is spinning that holds the mount in. 2 thinkgs probably happened, either the weld of the nut on the kmember was weak and when they did the factory torque, it broke and they left it, or the person putting it together crossthreaded the bolt. Anyways it poses as a problem. I tried to shove a flat head screwdriver between to get some pressure on the bolt, but no such luck.

I have been thinking of what to do. I can think of 2 things, the pricey way, buy and aftermarket K Member. My question there is I was looking at the BMR ones and they sell 1 withouth the motor mounts. Does this mean that the they made it so you can use your existing motor mounts on it?

My second option is drill a hole in the K Member below the bolt where th nut is, and use pliers to hold the nut from spinning to get the bolt off, and then when put the bolt back in, if not damaged, otherwise I can go get a new bolt at the hardware store, I can hold the nut when putting back in. My only fear is making the K Member not as tough and end up damaging it in the long run.

Also, I don't see how, but best I ask, will having 1 motormount factory and one of teh Bullets in do anything bad?

Old 02-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Motor Mounts, one installed.

What motor mounts did you buy?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Prothane Bullits from Summit Racing. They have the black ones for $103. $113 after handling charge.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

For some reason the red polyeurathane, they sell fro $159 and from what I understand, there isn't really a difference in performance, just the color.

I still haven't got the one out yet. I tried impact drill on the bolt and still wouldn't come out, so the nut in the Kmember definatly broke loose. So going to have to drill a hole from underneath and grab a hold of it.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You could always try what you were talking about earlier. Or, if there's room, cut the top of the bolt off and spin it back to where it came from and let it drop. You should be able to get it out of the k-member because there are holesin it to fish things out. If you get that done, see what you can do to get that new bolt in the mount, through the hole and attach it with the bolt and washer. If the hole is already too screwed up to use, re-tap it, get a complete new bolt, nut and washer and do it that way. A tap is cheap and you could probably do it without making the hole that much larger.

Good luck, sounds like a pain in the ***.