Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Noise After Modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:55 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default Suspension Noise After Modification

I just had new lower control arms installed on Friday. Many thanks to this board. I noticed the change immediately. A really great modification.

I was expecting more road noise and maybe a probably a rougher ride. The ride quality hasn't changed much, if at all. I was surprised.

However, I am getting a little whine when I decelerate. It's very slight and definitely coming from the rear. I'm a little concerned, though, since earlier this month I had 3.73's installed and hadn't noticed any gear whine, vibration or noise at all, until I got my new lower control arms.

I should also mention that I have no other suspension changes. I am at stock ride height.

I'm curious. Is it uncommon to hear a little whine from the rear after lower control arms?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Suspension Noise After Modification

My guess is pinion angle might be off a little. But not for sure.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

The suspension shop checked my alignment in the rear. Does that mean they checked my pinion angle?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:06 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Pinion angle could be off. If the suspension shop said they checked your "rear alignment" then they should have checked it.

But based on what you wrote about having the gear change done, I think it is more likely that your gear install was slightly noisy and now you're hearing it more clearlybecasue you have stiffer bushings in your suspension. Stiffer bushings will transmit more noise from the rear end to the body...this includes road noise and gear noise.

Based on what you described I don't think it's a pinion angle issue. Pinion angle problems are usually clunking or a "wao..wao...wao" sound on acceleration and deceleration. When you say the sound is like gear noise and only on decel, I'm willing it bet it's the gears.

You probably have a minor case of whine--it's just that you didn't hear it before becasue the OEM bushings quashed it.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:43 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Which Steeda control arms did you buy? Are they adjustable and what kinds of ends, rod or poly?
If they're adjustable, perhaps they are not set right.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:35 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

They are the non-adjustable lower control arms. I have no plans to lower the car, so I thought I'd go for a stronger setup.

The vehicle is definitely not making any clunking noises and it only happens on deceleration. I'm starting to think I have nothing to worry about.

I'll try to make a recording and post that later.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I have an update. It's definitely not my new lower control arms. The whine only happens between about 1000 and 1200 rpm. That tells me it's either a small whine that's amplified by my new LCA's or some other funny harmonic that's there naturally.

I took the car on a long cruise and did hear the occassional "thunk", but it wasn't excessive and was probably due to rough road conditions/transmission shifting. Either way, that noise was not repeatable like the gear whine.

The are no vibrations at all, even up to 80 mph.

My conclusion, stiffer bushings mean more noise (duh). My noises don't seem to be anything to worry about. It's probably slight gear whine like CrazyAl said.

Thanks for all the help!