Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Do the bump stops need to be altered on lowered cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 AM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Default Do the bump stops need to be altered on lowered cars?

While putting on the BMR relocation brackets this weekend, I noticed that the bump stops are very close to the frame. I'd say within an inch or so. I also noticed the frame dulled out at the spot of contact, so it must be hitting it. I saw one post on here mentioning that it's a good idea to cut them. Has anyone else altered their bump stops on their lowered rides?

By the way, I didn't notice much of a ride improvement with the relocation brackets. Maybe it's slightly less rough/jarring, but not a big difference as far as I could notice. Speed bumps are still quite jarring at anything above 5 mph. So I just purchased 18" wheels to replace the 20s (they are for sale if you're interested, PM me). On the positive side, I did notice much improved traction with the relocation brackets. Before I could spin the wheels quite easily, now it takes more effort.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do the bump stops need to be altered on lowered cars?

the relocation brackets don't affect the firmness of the ride.

Cutting the bump stops was necessary for me, but my car is pretty low. I cut them down to the first notch.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I cut the first "bunp" off of the rear and didn't modify the front bump stops when I installed my Eibach Pro Kit. I haven't noticed any bottoming out.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:17 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmsurpri
While putting on the BMR relocation brackets this weekend, I noticed that the bump stops are very close to the frame. I'd say within an inch or so. I also noticed the frame dulled out at the spot of contact, so it must be hitting it. I saw one post on here mentioning that it's a good idea to cut them. Has anyone else altered their bump stops on their lowered rides?

By the way, I didn't notice much of a ride improvement with the relocation brackets. Maybe it's slightly less rough/jarring, but not a big difference as far as I could notice. Speed bumps are still quite jarring at anything above 5 mph. So I just purchased 18" wheels to replace the 20s (they are for sale if you're interested, PM me). On the positive side, I did notice much improved traction with the relocation brackets. Before I could spin the wheels quite easily, now it takes more effort.

Hi jmsurpri,

What sportspringsare you runing? A good quality sportspring kit will haveshorter bumpstops included the kit. The alternative is to cut them yourself but this isn't ideal as onour cars the bumpstops are a part of the suspension system that raises the spring rate as they are compressed and allows the axle to bottom out softly. When you cut the stock rear axle bumpstopsyou are breaking the capsule of the bumpstop and they will deterioratemore quickly once exposed to weather and impacts. There are some universal aftermarket parts available that can easily be adapted but I would suggest calling Eibach and ordering a set ofS197 rear axle bumpstops asare supplied in theirSportline spring kit which has an ultra low ride height. The Eibach bumpstops bolt right in like factory parts and have a shorter height and a slightlydenser material to compensate for the lower overallheight.

Not to harp on the subject of excesive suspension lowering butI have been posting this for a couple of years now lower,a lot like more boost is not always better when used on the street. The limits of the S197 chassis are easy to see as theride height gets lower. All you have to do is look at things like when the axle starts to hit the chassis rails and when the chassis geometry starts to go past the point where it is easily brought back into a useable range. Once you hit that level of drop you need to ask yourself why you are going lower because it is not for performance anymore.

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

I have the Steeda sport springs, which is a moderate 1.25" drop in the rear I believe.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:17 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

I have the Steeda sport springs, which is a moderate 1.25" drop in the rear I believe.

Hi jmsurpri,

Don't touch the bumpstops on your car, they are working as they should be! As I posted they are there to help slow the axle as it approaches the chassis frame rails.

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2007, 04:24 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

<<SNIPPED>>
Hi jmsurpri,

The function of LCA relocation brackets has nothing to do with ride and if well designed and installed correctly should have very little impact on ride. But if you installed LCA's with solid ends you will geta very large dose of NVH through them which IMO tends to make cars intollerable asdaily drivers. What holesdid you set you axle side LCA adjustment at?

Cheers!