Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

BMR relocation bracket setting??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BMR relocation bracket setting??

F1,

Just one more trackday next week and we will be in the off season here in PHX. Maybe then I'll pursue getting the Steeda brackets installed and get the angles set as close as I can.
I also have the Steeda Comp UCA. It is adjusted to the long setting ( the hole furthest towards the front of the car ) but you lost me with the "rearward IC setting" ???????
Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kobie
F1,

Just one more trackday next week and we will be in the off season here in PHX. Maybe then I'll pursue getting the Steeda brackets installed and get the angles set as close as I can.
I also have the Steeda Comp UCA. It is adjusted to the long setting ( the hole furthest towards the front of the car ) but you lost me with the "rearward IC setting" ???????
Hi Kobie,

PHX? Phoneix? Like I've said before the static LCA angles are less important than the way the car works dynamically for you. Howyour car responds to your LCA stttings up and down theLCA relocation bracketsis highly dependent onthe relationship between front and rearsprings rates, ride height setting,camber setting, toe setting,anti-rollbar setting,angle of the front anti-roll bar "arms"relative to the front lower control armpivot axis, front roll center height and amount of bumpsteer error and these are just the things we can change easily.Using the lower adjustment holes on the onLCA relocationbracketscan give youmore rear grip butin tighter slower speed corners where the suspension is loaded up tends to add more rear axle steering. At high speeds this setting is less stable compared to having the LCA's level or slightlyuphill to the axle.

The Steeda Competition UCA/UCA mount system when set as you have it in the logest forward adjustment holesmoves the sideview IC (Instant Center) rearward. Thisgives you much the same effect as lowering your LCA's in the LCA relocation brackets,more rear axle grip but without the disadvantage of the unstable and usually unwanted rear axle steering problem. This is just one of the reasons the Steeda Competition UCA/UCA mount setup is so great IMO. Of course it cost a bit more thansome no-nameUCAand UCA mount but like I always say"you get what you pay for AND what you don't."

HTH!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Yoursecond measurement methodis much better as the ground levelunder the car is hard to measure well. I found that in order to get the car to handle well at high speed I like the LCA's pointing level to a couple of degrees pointing up at the axle. At lower speeds in the canyons level or a couple of degrees down to the axle seems O.K. as this seems to help the rear end rotate faster. But this is not as stable at high to very high speeds and if you are cornering at higher speeds the car can be too fast at turn in if you have a larger (22mm+)rear anti-roll bar installed. Some of this can be tuned out or at least improvedby cranking up the rear dampers to help settle the carduring the inital turn-inbut then the ride suffers as doesbumpy road traction. So I like the LCA's to bedead level or a bit up hill. Oh, I'm not certain if this make a lot of difference but this is with a Steeda Comp UCA/UCA mount adjusted to the long setting and rearward IC setting.
F1Fan

It looks like the holes in the Steeda bracket are in an arc. is this so that when moving from one hole to another you don't have to worry about changing the length of the LCA, i.e. the arc corresponds to the length of the LCA.?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
BigBore

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08
F1Fan

It looks like the holes in the Steeda bracket are in an arc. is this so that when moving from one hole to another you don't have to worry about changing the length of the LCA, i.e. the arc corresponds to the length of the LCA.?
Having a fixed Steeda lca, I was wondering that too (is the same for the BMR too?)
Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
BMRFabrication
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: BigBore

F1Fan

Having a fixed Steeda lca, I was wondering that too (is the same for the BMR too?)
Correct the holes are also located in an arcon our relocation brackets.

Lee S
Old 05-22-2008, 04:24 PM
doogyhap
1st Gear Member

Hey F1Fan,
After reading this thread I went in my garage and double checked my LCA angle. I have the LCAs set on the highest possiblehole on the steeda reloc bracket,and the diff. side still anglesdown, but by less than a degree. The highest hole on the steeda bracket is useless because it is blocked by the diff's bracket. Looks like this is as good as it gets.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan
Yoursecond measurement methodis much better as the ground levelunder the car is hard to measure well. I found that in order to get the car to handle well at high speed I like the LCA's pointing level to a couple of degrees pointing up at the axle. At lower speeds in the canyons level or a couple of degrees down to the axle seems O.K. as this seems to help the rear end rotate faster. But this is not as stable at high to very high speeds and if you are cornering at higher speeds the car can be too fast at turn in if you have a larger (22mm+)rear anti-roll bar installed. Some of this can be tuned out or at least improvedby cranking up the rear dampers to help settle the carduring the inital turn-inbut then the ride suffers as doesbumpy road traction. So I like the LCA's to bedead level or a bit up hill. Oh, I'm not certain if this make a lot of difference but this is with a Steeda Comp UCA/UCA mount adjusted to the long setting and rearward IC setting.
F1Fan

Hi Sleeper_08,

The Steeda adjustment holes are at an angle and AFAIK are pretty close if you got the brackets welded in place correctly.

HTH!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doogyhap
Hey F1Fan,
After reading this thread I went in my garage and double checked my LCA angle. I have the LCAs set on the highest possiblehole on the steeda reloc bracket,and the diff. side still anglesdown, but by less than a degree. The highest hole on the steeda bracket is useless because it is blocked by the diff's bracket. Looks like this is as good as it gets.
Hi doogyhap,

Just drill the holes out in the stock brackets. You can do it wth a conventional drill if it's not too big but a right angle drill works better.

HTH!