Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tools!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tools!

Yup, i have the Goodyear one also. Has held up great for the 1 1/2 years i've had it. And i use it a LOT! i dont know how i worked on cars without it. But remember, these impact wrenches (air or electric) require a different type of sockets. They are usually black sockets and are labeled as impact.

Sears, Home Depot, Northern tool are some places to buy tools for awesome deals. Namely the last two. Going tool shopping is costly tho but as fun as a kid in a candy store.

Also, Matco and Snap-On are some baller equipment too
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

If you're going to do your own brakes, you need this or something similar

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP1434...ductDetail.htm

For the front brakes you can buy a cheaper tool that pushes the piston back into the caliper.
For the rear,(much different than the fronts, they rotate back into the caliper)they sell a cheaper tool,
it's about a 1"x1" cube..it'll work, but it's pretty cheap.

other items not mentioned above

telescopic magnet, good needle nose pliers, diagonal cutters, channel locks, vise grips
and no toolbox is complete without a hammer and duct tape
Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

I dunno, but I received a torque wrench as a gift awhile back and I'll be doggone if I know how to use it..may be you can school me? I can take pics of the thing....
Post pics, we have a lot of torque wrenches up here, if I don't know, someone up here will know!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Hope the pics are not too big, but enough to see the details..and I hate to hijack this post, but this is what I am talking about:

Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Ok, looking at the pictures, the number at the top is 200 correct?

What you'll do is loosen up the nut at the bottom of the wrench, and adjust it to where you need...200, 180, 160, etc, and then the handle looks like it has gradients to single amounts...so if you wanted say 150, you'd set themain number to the 140, and then spin the handle to the 10. Once you have that, tighten up the nut, and then you'd be set for 150 INCH pounds. If you need foot pounds, you have to do some math.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kodos78
I am mechanically inclined, but haven't done much wrenching on cars beyond the basics.
Given the relatively simplistic nature of the S197 chassis, I thought that I could start wrenching on the suspension and save a bunch on labor and learn something about working on my car.
That said, what sort of tools should I invest in? I just have a few basic pieces of kit for working around the house. No torque wrenches, no jack stands, nothing

What should I invest in?

Thanks in advance!
Hi kodos78,

Here is alist of useful tools I found I needed while working on the S197GT chassis, engine and lighting systems. I'm sure you can get by with less but I'm always amazed at how many tools you can use when working on even simple cars like the S197GT.

floor jack, get a good one, it's your life, I have two but most folks only useone
1pair of 2-3ton jack stands, get good ones, it's your life, I have 3 sets but 2 pairs can bereally usefull
2 pairs of wheel chocks, safety first and they are cheap at places like Harbor Freight Tools
small flashlights
AC shop light onretractable reel
assortedscrew drivers, about 8-12 withslot and Philips tips various sizes andlengths
assorted magnetic tip drivers,4" with extentionswith Torx and hex head tips
assorted 6", 8" pliers, 6", 8" needle nose, 6" bent nose, 4" flush cut nippers, 6", 8"diag cutters, 6", 10", 14" channel locks, 6", 8",10" 12" cresent wrenches
assorted hammers, 2 ballpeen and oneplastic or rubber soft faced hammer
standardsocketsmetric andSAEin 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive, 5.5mm,8mm-19mm and 1/4"-1 1/4"
deep sockets metric and SAE in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive, 5.5mm, 8mm-19mm and 1/4"-1 1/4"
standard round or low-profile teardrop headed 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"ratchets, fine toothed ratchetsare more usefull
standard round or low-profile teardrop headed 3/8" drive stubby and long handled ratchets
10"-12" 3/8" flex-T breaker and 15"-18" 1/2" flex-T breaker
assorted extensions, flex heads and adapters in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive
3/8"flex head click micrometertorque wrench, 14",minimum$100-$150 discountedforquality calibratible tool
1/2"flex headclick micrometer torque wrench,18",minimum $100-$150 discounted for quality calibratible tool
assortment of combinationwrenches in metric and SAE, 8mm-19mm, 1/4"-1 1/4"
assortment of flexheaded Gearwrench ratchet wrench sets in metric and SAE,8mm-19mm, 1/4"-1"
assortment of stuby combination wrenches in metric and SAE, 10mm-17mm, 3/8"-3/4"
spring compressor, Sears has a good one for $30
manual grease gun
6" calipers
6" steel rule
25" steel tape
set of assorted alignment drifts and punches
3/8" drive air gun
1/4" drive air ratchet
3/8" drive air ratchet
1/2" drive air gun
cut off disc air tool,

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

really those are very bad torq wrenches.....personally i spent a good deal on them....about 300 for 2 and a couple others also. Precision is a rebranded snap on torque wrench> Top notch quality for about half the cost. Here are the 2 I picked up.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9635
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9485

Setting them up is very simple and there is no doubt where you are. They are calibrated down to 4% or less and come in a very nice case. They will only go in 1 direction, so you can not lossen anything which is the way it should be so the wrench does not get out of calibration.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:00 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Even if it says you can loosen bolts with it, never use a torque wrench as a breaker bar or really even for loosening a bolt. Also, when you are done with it, screw it out to it's lowest setting. That will help preserve the accuracy.

On tool list, be sure to have the big a$$ hammer and a piece of pipe that will fit over a ratchet. I know a cheater pipe isn't really correct but sometimes you need a "wrench extension". If you have an air compressor, definately get a decent impact. I don't know how I ever lived without one. While you're on air tools, get an air ratchet for those times when there isn't enough room to turn a ratchet. That's another I was too stubborn to buy and now love. Personnally, I also like car ramps and found a set at Northern Tool that work with this car. They're plastic but work fine. The normal ones will hit the bumper before the tires get to it. I still think a creeper is over rated and would go with the cardboard. If you have dogs and buy food in 50lb bags, keep the bags for crawling under the car or when changing the oil. Same as cardboard but easier to throw away.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

really those are very bad torq wrenches.....personally i spent a good deal on them....about 300 for 2 and a couple others also. Precision is a rebranded snap on torque wrench> Top notch quality for about half the cost. Here are the 2 I picked up.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9635
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9485

Setting them up is very simple and there is no doubt where you are. They are calibrated down to 4% or less and come in a very nice case. They will only go in 1 direction, so you can not lossen anything which is the way it should be so the wrench does not get out of calibration.
Hi howarmat,

BTW, Precision Insturments used to make all of Snap-On's torque wrenches until about 4-5 years ago when Sanp-On canceled their long term contract. PI then came out from the shadowsas Snap-On's dedicated torque wrench makeras one of the premeier torque wrench makers in the business and now offerstheir complete line of torque measurement tools the same tools they used to sell to Snap-On who then sold them to us at a 300-400% markup. I'm happy that PI can sell their torque wrenches without the incredible markups you used to have to pay to Snap-On, they are excellent tools for the working man.

What are you talking about? The Precision Insturments micrometer torque wrench I haveis25% more accurate than the Precision Insturments split-beam I also own. I have both the 3/8" Precision Insturments micrometer and split-beam clickers in my roll-away along with a Craftsmen 1/2" micrometer clicker and a busted 35+ year old micrometerclicker from AC spark plugs.The three good onesaregood solid torque wrenches, not junk nobody will take infor calibration. I get all of my torque wrenchescalibrated every otheryear because I only use them lightly these days and always unload the micrometer types before storing them. The problem with the PI split beam is that it's toolong andtoo bulkytoo oftenso I bought theslimmer, 3"-4" shorter PI micrometer type to getinto the tighter places to replace the busted vintage clicker that is no longer serviceable. The split beam torque wrench does have a 20ft/lb higher range and ILOVE the way you set the torque on thesplit beam wrench but 3"-4" makes a huge difference in where you can get the wrench into work.

If you want to talk about junk torque wrenches look a few posts backup in the thread at the pictures of a badChinese torque wrench that probably was never calibrated and is likely not capable of being reliably set using aprecision torque calibration reference.

HTH!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kodos78

...I figure if I do all of the work the investment in the tools should more than pay for themselves...
And your point is...? Do you expect the Stang to pay for itself? Heck, just HAVING tools is almost as cool as driving the Stang. Fess, up... We ALL love our tools!

Quick Reply: Tools!