Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tools!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 PM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

Default Tools!

I am mechanically inclined, but haven't done much wrenching on cars beyond the basics.
Given the relatively simplistic nature of the S197 chassis, I thought that I could start wrenching on the suspension and save a bunch on labor and learn something about working on my car.
That said, what sort of tools should I invest in? I just have a few basic pieces of kit for working around the house. No torque wrenches, no jack stands, nothing

What should I invest in?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Tools!

I dunno, but I received a torque wrench as a gift awhile back and I'll be doggone if I know how to use it..may be you can school me? I can take pics of the thing....
Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

I used to have a 69 stang as part of a full restoration so I have a lot of tools that I def use. The following are def necessary for a gear head who plans on doing lots of work

Impact Drill and Air Compressor
Tq wrench
Jack stands
2 tonjack
Breaker Bar
Volt-meter
Complete socket set (mm and inches)in both 3/8 and 1/2 drive size
couple sticks of blue loctite
Some people recommend creepers, I hate mine though. Cardboard ftw
And I have two or three big *** wrenches, each is different but basically like a pipe wrench so if you cant get a breaker bar in there, you can still get the leverage you need.

Good luck dude. May the go be with you.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 AM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

In addition, there are some funky bolts on the Mustang that you'll need Crow's foot ratchet heads to be able to torque down. Particularly the upper strut mounts and I think the sway bar-strut mount.

Other than that, deep socket ractchet heads are always nice, as are a **** load of wrenches. In all shapes and sizes.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:50 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You HAVE to have a good torq wrench and jack stands and a good jack....these are required! You need a full socket set also and another set of wrenches. Never use your torque wrench to loosen bolts unless it says you can do that.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Stands are a must - get four. Obviously a nice floorjack. I'd recommend two torque wreches... a 3/8 and 1/2.....Sears had a killer sale on their good ones about a week ago. $50ish a piece versus $75ish.

It's also very nice to havedifferent size/lenght ratchets and some with flex heads for working in tight sports. I have about five different 3/8 drive ratchets...

You can never have too many tools.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:35 PM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the feedback guys! This definitely helps me put together a shopping list. I'll have to check Sears out and see if they still have that sale going on.
I figure if I do all of the work the investment in the tools should more than pay for themselves.

Keep the list coming. Very useful when people ask me what I want for Christmas
Old 10-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

To add

-Look for safe and strong jack stands, its your life.
-floor jack that can go under a lowered car
If you go to sears, the have complete craftman packages that are really nice, try to buy also deep sockets between 9 - 18mm, this cars are basically metric now but you need to have some imperial sockets and wrenches cause some bolt-ons are.
- a fender mat
- if you can get some torx and allen bits
Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I'd add that an electric impact is really convenient to have around. The newer ones are fairly good and have enough torque for getting most bolts off. People that swap wheels a lot (track days, winter to summer, etc.) use 'em a lot. I have the goodyear one from pepboys, and for being under $100, it has held up well. Several friends have this one as well with great results.

Tom
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the new suggestions Lito & SlideWRX!

Great suggestion on the electric impact. I would have never thought about that!

Quick Reply: Tools!