Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tools!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Tools!

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

What are you talking about? The Precision Insturments micrometer torque wrench I haveis25% more accurate than the Precision Insturments split-beam I also own. I have both the 3/8" Precision Insturments micrometer and split-beam clickers in my roll-away along with a Craftsmen 1/2" micrometer clicker and a busted 35+ year old micrometerclicker from AC spark plugs.The three good onesaregood solid torque wrenches, not junk nobody will take infor calibration. I get all of my torque wrenchescalibrated every otheryear because I only use them lightly these days and always unload the micrometer types before storing them. The problem with the PI split beam is that it's toolong andtoo bulkytoo oftenso I bought theslimmer, 3"-4" shorter PI micrometer type to getinto the tighter places to replace the busted vintage clicker that is no longer serviceable. The split beam torque wrench does have a 20ft/lb higher range and ILOVE the way you set the torque on thesplit beam wrench but 3"-4" makes a huge difference in where you can get the wrench into work.

If you want to talk about junk torque wrenches look a few posts backup in the thread at the pictures of a badChinese torque wrench that probably was never calibrated and is likely not capable of being reliably set using aprecision torque calibration reference.

HTH!
That is what i was saying. I do agree they are very big and that could become a slight problem...i have not run into any problems yet with them. I am not sure what the paragraph in blue was refeerring to, i dont think I bashed the micrometer in anything i stated.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke
ORIGINAL: kodos78
...I figure if I do all of the work the investment in the tools should more than pay for themselves...
And your point is...? Do you expect the Stang to pay for itself? Heck, just HAVING tools is almost as cool as driving the Stang. Fess, up... We ALL love our tools!
Hi Nuke,

Hey, I'll admit it I love my tools. A goodselection of qualitymechanic's hand tools in good conditionorganized in a ball-bearing drawer roll-away is a wonderful thing. I like having the right tool on hand to do the job, just having tools is of little value to me, I like to use them. That's like having a Dino Ferrari in thegarage you never drive.

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

really those are very bad torq wrenches.....personally i spent a good deal on them....about 300 for 2 and a couple others also. Precision is a rebranded snap on torque wrench> Top notch quality for about half the cost. Here are the 2 I picked up.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9635
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9485

Setting them up is very simple and there is no doubt where you are. They are calibrated down to 4% or less and come in a very nice case. They will only go in 1 direction, so you can not lossen anything which is the way it should be so the wrench does not get out of calibration.
Hi howarmat,

My bad! But what were you talking about in the above pink highlighted part? The PI torque wrenches I have are great working tools and a long term investment as you have to look at any large collection of high quality tools. Over time, with some care they will pay for themselves as long as you don't lend them to your friends (good quality tools NEVER come back to you for some reason), and you take care for them after you are done using hem for the day. Call me old school but that is how I learned auto mechanics, with good quality tools if youtake care ofthem they will take care of you.

Cheers!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I am mechanically inclined, but haven't done much wrenching on cars beyond the basics.
Given the relatively simplistic nature of the S197 chassis, I thought that I could start wrenching on the suspension and save a bunch on labor and learn something about working on my car.
Suspension work frequently means alignment work, so . . .

With little more than a digital angle finder, 4 jackstands, a 6" machinist's scale graduated to 1/64" or finer, and some string you can do your own alignments to better than ±0.1° camber accuracy and about ±1/32" toe accuracy.

The attached length of steel angle in the picture is to permit you to locate off the wheel flange face at the full diameter. It's a simple custom fab - so you'll need a drill, some drill bits, a countersink bit, and a couple of flat head machine screws with nuts to finish making this tool. I also use a magnetic 9" torpedo level to ensure that the angle finder is vertical when you're looking at the car from the side, and the steel angle gives it a place to stick to.

Norm

[IMG]local://upfiles/62186/7FA4AFE27E91446D8990152F471B18E0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the bad wrenches i was referring to were the ones that where pictured above that were made in china, i can see how my statement was kinda of vague....i think the PI are awesome and have no bad words about them at all....they are top of the line!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson
I am mechanically inclined, but haven't done much wrenching on cars beyond the basics.
Given the relatively simplistic nature of the S197 chassis, I thought that I could start wrenching on the suspension and save a bunch on labor and learn something about working on my car.
Suspension work frequently means alignment work, so . . .

With little more than a digital angle finder, 4 jackstands, a 6" machinist's scale graduated to 1/64" or finer, and some string you can do your own alignments to better than ±0.1° camber accuracy and about ±1/32" toe accuracy.

The attached length of steel angle in the picture is to permit you to locate off the wheel flange face at the full diameter. It's a simple custom fab - so you'll need a drill, some drill bits, a countersink bit, and a couple of flat head machine screws with nuts to finish making this tool. I also use a magnetic 9" torpedo level to ensure that the angle finder is vertical when you're looking at the car from the side, and the steel angle gives it a place to stick to.

Norm
[IMG]local://upfiles/62186/7FA4AFE27E91446D8990152F471B18E0.jpg[/IMG]
Hi Norm,

Have you ever used Smart Strings?

Cheers!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Only sort of, and only if you count a homemade version of the lateral bar part from which the strings mount and fix the separation between the strings. Still a bit of measuring and iterating to set it up.

Norm
Old 10-26-2007, 08:35 AM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

Wow guys, thanks for the continued input. Lots of awesome information packed in here.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 AM
1550GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: howarmat

really those are very bad torq wrenches.....personally i spent a good deal on them....about 300 for 2 and a couple others also. Precision is a rebranded snap on torque wrench> Top notch quality for about half the cost. Here are the 2 I picked up.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9635
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9485

Setting them up is very simple and there is no doubt where you are. They are calibrated down to 4% or less and come in a very nice case. They will only go in 1 direction, so you can not lossen anything which is the way it should be so the wrench does not get out of calibration.
Hi howarmat,

My bad! But what were you talking about in the above pink highlighted part? The PI torque wrenches I have are great working tools and a long term investment as you have to look at any large collection of high quality tools. Over time, with some care they will pay for themselves as long as you don't lend them to your friends (good quality tools NEVER come back to you for some reason), and you take care for them after you are done using hem for the day. Call me old school but that is how I learned auto mechanics, with good quality tools if youtake care ofthem they will take care of you.

Cheers!

I saw abunch of these at several pawn shops when I was looking for a set of jack stands. They must be a popular torque wrench. I found some 3 ton jack stands and got them for $25.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:05 AM
1550GT
1st Gear Member

I just picked up on a set of these:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...yword=wrenches

They twist to allow your hand to be on the flat side of the wrench which makes it easier on your hand and this new set rachets on the box end. The metric ones come in a set from 10mm-18mm, although it skips a 16mm wrench. Not sure how often you need a 16mm.

Quick Reply: Tools!