Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Ultra Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Ultra Light Problems

Sorry can't help you on the tune although people around here seem to have good things to say about them(brenspeed). I ordered my hurst shifter from them so thats the best I can do... Other than that a C/S front facia, FRPP axlebacks and the suspension stuff which I just got done installing. I put the steeda sports on and it ended up much lower than the advertized drop in the rear. I may try the roushes in the back if and when I get tired of bouncing around on the bumpstops. Verts are heavier I guess. As for picking my brain.....brain? what brain? sometimes this forum posting makes me feel like I don't have one.

ORIGINAL: Beast

What other mods do you have on your car? I've lowered mine as you know as well an C & L intake andDiablo tune from C & L. I'm also considering UD pulleys but I just know if they are worth it. Also, I keep reading that a Brenspeed tune would be better than the tune that came with my Diablo but how much difference could it really be? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 AM
FMGT/CS

I'm having the same problem.But my clunking is coming from the back I have double check everything
that I can think of.I have checked torque specs. and of course the install itself and can't find anything wrong.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FMGT/CS

I'm having the same problem.But my clunking is coming from the back I have double check everything
that I can think of.I have checked torque specs. and of course the install itself and can't find anything wrong.
My car hasa noise originating from the rear also that I've attributed to the bumpstops hitting the frame. Mine isn't really a "clunk". Its more of a hollow "thump". (as if there would be a difference). It doesn't do it constantly, only on rough roads. So if yours is a constant occurance I don't think you would have the same issue. I've read some reports of pinion angle being off enough to create a noise. I've ruled that out in my case because I took off the bumpstops temporarily for one test drive and the noise dissappeared. If you've ruled out any loose fasteners then maybe you're hitting and you don't realize it. Mark the top of the rubber stop with something first (peanut butter, toothpaste, anything...) and see if it leaves residue on the frame. Its a stretch but anything is possible.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
attridgerm
1st Gear Member

For what it's worth...I had an 05 V6 with Steeda Ultra-lites. I put about 10k miles on it without any problems, then sold it. Now I have an 07 GT (see sig) with Steeda Ultra-lites. The first 3k miles were with the stock struts/shocks. The last 3K mileshave been with Steeda Pro-Action struts/shocks. I haven't experienced any problems andam very happy with the set-up. No Steeda mounts in either application.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 AM
FMGT/CS

I did think about the bump stops.I have looked under the car a seen that the bump stops have hit so I trimmed them about a half inch that didn't help. I am using factory shocks for now till I can afford the D-specs.But today I have noticed going over a speed bump there is no clunking just on sudden hits such as man hole covers and pot holes and yes I do try to avoid them if possible.
As far as the pinion angle I put BMR Lca on with relocation brackets. I haven't checked the angle but I heard with the steeda
ultra lites the drop isnot enough to effect it. That bad and with the Lca relocation brackets that should help also if I am correct.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

The head suspension guy said the sound was coming from the Strut Mounts and that I should have left them stock. He said they put in tons of Roush, Eiback, and a few Steeda springs and they always leave the mounts OEM.
I asked my installer about switching the mounts when I had my Roush springs (3/4") and Koni struts installed. Said he's worked on plenty and never needed to replace the originals. I took his advice and have had no issues so far.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FMGT/CS

I did think about the bump stops.I have looked under the car a seen that the bump stops have hit so I trimmed them about a half inch that didn't help. I am using factory shocks for now till I can afford the D-specs.But today I have noticed going over a speed bump there is no clunking just on sudden hits such as man hole covers and pot holes and yes I do try to avoid them if possible.
As far as the pinion angle I put BMR Lca on with relocation brackets. I haven't checked the angle but I heard with the steeda
ultra lites the drop isnot enough to effect it. That bad and with the Lca relocation brackets that should help also if I am correct.
I think relocation brackets only correct what they refer to as "roll center". It has something to do with the way the a-arms are angled and how changing that angle affects how the rear gets planted to the ground on hard acceleration (like drag racing). You didn't mention that you LCA's were adjustable or not. If they are, thats where the pinion angle adjustment is made. I remember reading that it is actually better to adjust the pinion angle with an adjustable upper control arm but I think access to the uppers on these cars is such a pain that most people choose lowers. I haven't messed with my pinion angle at all either (yet). I have a vert and the Steeda Sport Springs really dumped it in the rear. I think pinion angle problems show up more as a vibration at certain speeds than a noise but I could be wrong. Did you ever consider riding in the trunk while someone else drives? Maybe you could at least tell if the noise it closer up in toward the bodywhere the shocks, uca, or driveshaft (aka badpinion angle) could be the problem......maybe the exhaust hitting something?The pipes come awfully close to the upper p-bar brace....
Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 AM
FMGT/CS

I didn't think about the trunk idea thanks.I did think about the exhaust
tried to make it hit by hand no clearance issues there and while at ride
hieght checked everything else I could think of nothing found.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Beast

Guys,
I've brought up this subject before so bear with me. I ordered and had installed the Steeda Ultra Light springs. When I was on the phone ordering the "tech" guy at Steeda recommended that I also change the upper strut mounts because the OEM ones tend to fail and make noise. I ordered exactly what he recommended. Now I have a constant "knocking" sound on every bump, big or small, that I hit. Mostly from the right side. I took the car back to the shop to see if anything had come loose and to tighten everything down. No change. I tried ordering and installing end links for an 07 GT to see if that helped. I had read here that it might. No luck. Last week I took my 06 to a large Ford dealer in the area. One that that specializes in all things Mustangs. They have tons of Roush's, GT 500's, etc. The head suspension guy said the sound was coming from the Strut Mounts and that I should have left them stock. He said they put in tons of Roush, Eiback, and a few Steeda springs and they always leave the mounts OEM. HELP!! The sound is so irritating and I want it gone. Thanks!
Hi Beast,

The problem is due to incorrect installation of the Steeda HD Strut Mounts or a failure to correctly Locktite and torque the anti-roll bar link ends on the strut tabs and/or the A/R bar. Chances are whoever did your install never heard of a torque wrench or bothered to read the installation instructions and simply gunned the old nuts back on and called it a day. This is probably your problem and you should call the guyon the carpet and havehim fix the problem he created. I've been using the Steeda HD Strut Mounts on my ownD-Spec/Steeda Compstrut combofor many monthsand now onmy newSteeda coilovers and have also installed them on many other local Mustang car club guys cars with no problems at all. This problem is not due to the parts but the way they were installed.

HTH!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:49 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

I went with the GT500 OEM strut mounts when I did my spring swap...no noise and stiffer than stock and $200 cheaper than the Steeda heavy duty...I have plenty of Steeda parts but $300 is crazy for that one component

Quick Reply: Steeda Ultra Light Problems