Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Ultra Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda Ultra Light Problems

Guys,
I've brought up this subject before so bear with me. I ordered and had installed the Steeda Ultra Light springs. When I was on the phone ordering the "tech" guy at Steeda recommended that I also change the upper strut mounts because the OEM ones tend to fail and make noise. I ordered exactly what he recommended. Now I have a constant "knocking" sound on every bump, big or small, that I hit. Mostly from the right side. I took the car back to the shop to see if anything had come loose and to tighten everything down. No change. I tried ordering and installing end links for an 07 GT to see if that helped. I had read here that it might. No luck. Last week I took my 06 to a large Ford dealer in the area. One that that specializes in all things Mustangs. They have tons of Roush's, GT 500's, etc. The head suspension guy said the sound was coming from the Strut Mounts and that I should have left them stock. He said they put in tons of Roush, Eiback, and a few Steeda springs and they always leave the mounts OEM. HELP!! The sound is so irritating and I want it gone. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/74554/2FDE382CCA6442D29565233694E841B1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Ultra Light Problems

I assume you have the Steeda upper mounts....I too have these. I haven't experienced any problems....yet.... but I can say they werea pain to get installedcorrectly.I don't know how closely you worked with the install process to see how everything went together (and to subsequently understand what I am about to say) but the mounts are a conglomeration of plates, o-rings, and bushings that seem to take a great amount of assembly finesse to make sure nothing is amiss. In other words, if the guy just slapped it all together on top of the strut and tightened the nut down, something could have gone wrong.In my casethere were 2 o-rings located on the socketed shaft part that would not go in the hub correctly. They kept popping up out of their machined grooves. Oddly enough, the more lube you used to make them slide in betterthe worse the situation got.I ended up tapering the opening of the hub slightly and polishing it to a mirrored finish. Only then did the o-rings "roll" into the hub. If you trustthat thesound is definitely coming from the mounts, your only choice would be to remove and dissasemble at least the side you think the thunk is coming from. If something it out of place it should be apparent. Also you may want to double check the orientation of the assembly. If I remember correctly the "s" has to be to the outside of the car. Hope this helped.....
Old 02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Definitely something to check out and thanks. What model mustang do u have?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Oops, 0h 6. Duh
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

I don't know for sure if the mount is where the sound is coming from. The suspension guy at the Ford place drove it and this was his opinion.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Thats ok, brain fart, I undersand... 06 GT convertible actually (been meaning to develop a sig but haven't gotten to it yet). Regarding your mount issue, I know if I ever have problems withmine I'll be either switching to the GT500 mounts from Ford, or I see Maximum Motorsports has a complete solid bearing set-up that looks bulletproof (although probably noisy for street use). Just a suggestion if you choose to look elsewhere. I think the Steeda design tried to get the best of both worlds, bearing plus bushings for driveability. I know they need to machine a taper in the hub at least. I wondered while assembling mine how many people were just throwing all the parts together on the strut and thinking it would just squeeze together. Trust me, it doesn't work that way.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Thanks again. BTW, how do you put a picture intoyour posts? Obviously its easy to just do an attachment thumbnail but it seems everyone else has their picas part oftheir posts.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:31 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

They guy is probably correct OR he could be just guessing because even stock ford mounts have been known to fail and make the noise.You may already know this but therewas a tsb and a redesign of the stock mounts. If it didn't make the noise before the spring install then its either the mounts weren't assembled correctly or the spring isn't clocked on the strut right. I forgot to mention that a part of the stock strut bearing hadto be reused to install these mounts. I can't see the installer forgetting this part and being able to put it together at all but I guess anything is possible.

ORIGINAL: Beast

I don't know for sure if the mount is where the sound is coming from. The suspension guy at the Ford place drove it and this was his opinion.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Beast

Thanks again. BTW, how do you put a picture intoyour posts? Obviously its easy to just do an attachment thumbnail but it seems everyone else has their picas part oftheir posts.
Theres a place in your profile toupload an avatar pic and a permanent sig pic. I haven't done either of these yet because I can never get my computer to resize to the file limit correctly.[:@]
Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

What other mods do you have on your car? I've lowered mine as you know as well an C & L intake andDiablo tune from C & L. I'm also considering UD pulleys but I just know if they are worth it. Also, I keep reading that a Brenspeed tune would be better than the tune that came with my Diablo but how much difference could it really be? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

Quick Reply: Steeda Ultra Light Problems