Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Work

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default Suspension Work

I was looking into getting lower and upper control arms. I already have steeda springs and I dont have any traction issues or wheel hop issues at the track especially after the mickey thompsons. Are the control arms still worth it though? Will they improve any aspect of my time? (60 ft, or e/t time in general)?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:14 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Work

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

I was looking into getting lower and upper control arms. I already have steeda springs and I dont have any traction issues or wheel hop issues at the track especially after the mickey thompsons. Are the control arms still worth it though? Will they improve any aspect of my time? (60 ft, or e/t time in general)?
Hi tonkpils555666sas,

I think it pretty much depends on which UCA and LCA's you buy and install. You could hurt your 60' times if you use the wrong parts and you have to decide for yourself if the slight additional gains are worth the price in noise vibration and harshness compared to a top of the line UCA and LCA combination with rod ends. If it was a dedicated race car by all means rod ends are the best. For a daily driver street car allpoly or poly/rod end combos make a lot more sense.

If you have not installed anything else suspension wise you may be able to leave a little bit harder if you install Steeda'sAdjustable Comp/StreetUCA/UCA mount kit PN#555-4109. Thisis IMO the best UCA system on the market bar none for several reasons. First thisdouble adjustable UCA is extra long which improves geometry and reduces movement of IC location and makes off the line grip better while at the same time reduceing braking wheel hop. This UCA also comes with a 3-piece multi-durometer poly bushingwith a hard center bushing and two soft outer bushings tosupport and locate the hard center bushing. Thisgives you excellent linear axle location control with aslittle bushing bind as possible with a poly bushingandlittle or no additional NVH. The"Street" version does not completely eliminiate bushing bind but it does minimizebushing bind over conventional1 or 2-piece poly bushing designswith no loss in rear axle location.

ThisSteedapart number also includes a completelydifferentheavy duty adjustable UCA mount with an alternate mounting hole that is not just lower but also as far forward as possible and designed to take advantage ofSteeda's unique extra long upper control arm tomoveIC (instant center)rearward without having to install LCA relocation brackets whichcan add roll oversteer whichyou don't want at high speed. This UCA/UCA mount system can improve your rear tire grip just like installing LCA relocation bracketsbut without the downside of having LCA's that point downhill towards the axle side mounts.

I also see that you don't have adjustable struts and rear dampers. This can make a significant contribution to weight transfer and the ability to launch at higher RPM which as you knowall things being equal means a faster and quicker pass. If this is a DD street driven car Tokico D-Specs are an excellent choice for their double adjustable valving and excellent ride comfort for the street.At the drag strip you just soften up the fronts and and firm up the rears to maximize the weight transfer to the tires. Between the favorable dampers and the SteedaComp UCA/UCA mountyou will be able to leave harderand improve yourfirst segment timesand ET.

HTH!