Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Handling vs. V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT Handling vs. V6

Just remember there is a trade off in ride quality. Even from the base six to the pony package. I drove both and the non pony V6 has a much nicer highway ride. The 16" wheels probably help a lot too but not having the stiff suspension stuff really helps on ride quality.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wishbone

Just remember there is a trade off in ride quality. Even from the base six to the pony package. I drove both and the non pony V6 has a much nicer highway ride. The 16" wheels probably help a lot too but not having the stiff suspension stuff really helps on ride quality.
good point. more rubber, softer ride. still prefer the bullitts though.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Paulejr13

different susp and noooo sways
He means noooo rear sways.
They all gots some sort of FRONT sway bar.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

I followed a Pony Package car at a good clip through some winding roads. It handled quite well. Unless you did some major suspension upgrades (resulting in a very stiff suspension), I'll bet that any changes (like GT take-off parts) would result in only incremental improvements.
If it was mine, the one thing that definitely needs improvement for any kind of handling course is the brakes. The V6 brakes are inadequate. If you are on a budget, GT take offs would be a major improvement. Aftermarkets even better. Not only does this help the car on a road course but it is a major safety improvement as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
redmenace

I was looking at takeoff parts, it looks like the GT Convertible has different rear sway bars than the GT Coupe - I assume the convertible has thicker bars, to compensate for not having a roof to keep up the structural integrity of the car?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM
mylittlepony08

i bet you the v6 is a smoother ride
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 AM
swissdan

Not only brakes, but the greatest difference betweena stock V6and a GTor a V6 Pony Package is the rear sway bar!

It's night and day! Since I install my rear Hellwig sway on my 6 I can tell you,driving feeling is a lot better! A lot less body roll (it's more confortable) more precise on turning roads ! Do it !
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: redmenace

I was looking at takeoff parts, it looks like the GT Convertible has different rear sway bars than the GT Coupe - I assume the convertible has thicker bars, to compensate for not having a roof to keep up the structural integrity of the car?
No, the convertable bar is the same thickness as the PP rear sway.
The Vert rear sway is bent differently to clear the undercar braces
the S197 Verts have. Crawl under your Vert and see those two big
ol braces running from under the rear spare tire well up to just under
the doors? The rear sway has to clear those bars. A PP rear sway
will not fit on a Vert but a rear Vert sway will fit a non-Vert.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

I have seen what seems to be reliable information indicating:

the V6 front bar is smaller than the 34mm GT bar which is common with the Pony Package front bar (also 34mm).

the GT rear bar is 20mm, four mm larger than the Pony package rear bar (18mm for the dysnumeric).

My experience tells me there are compromises in everything. You want excellent handling, you pay by sacrificing comfort; and vice versa. The one modification that enhances the cornering experience without major costs in harshness are the sway bars. In ordinary touring they only come into play when you are turning, and then only in relatively radical direction changes. Speaking of moderately expensive cars. Expensive cars, some of them, have enough sophisticated engineering and exotic materials thrown at them that they do very good jobs in both arenas. In their cases, you sacrifice big dollar amounts and get what you want.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

I have seen what seems to be reliable information indicating:

the V6 front bar is smaller than the 34mm GT bar which is common with the Pony Package front bar (also 34mm). No, the PP front sway bar is 31.5mm like the V6 front sway bar.

the GT rear bar is 20mm, four mm larger than the Pony package rear bar (18mm for the dysnumeric). ???
No, its 2mm bigger. PP is a 18mm rear sway barand the GT is 20mm rear sway bar.

My experience tells me there are compromises in everything. You want excellent handling, you pay by sacrificing comfort; and vice versa. The one modification that enhances the cornering experience without major costs in harshness are the sway bars. In ordinary touring they only come into play when you are turning, and then only in relatively radical direction changes. Speaking of moderately expensive cars. Expensive cars, some of them, have enough sophisticated engineering and exotic materials thrown at them that they do very good jobs in both arenas. In their cases, you sacrifice big dollar amounts and get what you want.

Quick Reply: GT Handling vs. V6