Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Handling vs. V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM
HerNameIsScarlet

Default GT Handling vs. V6

Does anyone know how/why the V6 handles worse than the GT? What is the best way to make up for this? I know that a base Mustang V6 gets .81 or so on the skidpad, but a GT gets .89. What is the reason for this/ Is it only the swaybar? Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
imnutz66
1st Gear Member

Default RE: GT Handling vs. V6

the GT has lower profile tires, different spring rates, and sways front and rear - the GT front sway is alot heavier and th 6 has no rear sway at all (non pony). The easiest and cheapest way to improve the handling is to get a pair of GT take off sways
Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
HerNameIsScarlet

My car has the Pony Package, so I know that it already has both sway bars. Would the handling improvement be worth my effort if I got GT takeoff sway bars to replace my existing ones?

Also: do you know if lowering my car would make it handle closer to a GT?

Also (somewhat unrelated) do you know what the advantage of having thinner tires is? Is it just looks?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM
hutcccch

ORIGINAL: HerNameIsScarlet

My car has the Pony Package, so I know that it already has both sway bars. Would the handling improvement be worth my effort if I got GT takeoff sway bars to replace my existing ones?

Also (somewhat unrelated) do you know what the advantage of having thinner tires is? Is it just looks?

Thanks for the reply!
Yes lowering the car will, your center of gravity is lower.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

lower profile tires, although heavier, will tend to have less lateral flex than higher profile. The sidewalls tend to be a lot stiffer than higher profile tires. I took my car out to a parking lot with some buddies one night after I bought it and every time I tried to mess around and turn real quick my buddies would yell "FLEX!!!"as they saw my 16" rims nearly scrape the sides of the ground. It would also help to run the correct tire pressure (as my tires were NOT at the correct pressure during these stunts...).

EDIT: By heavier I mean overall wheel setups. Generally lower profile tires call for bigger rims = heavier set up, as more metal is a lot heavier than more tire rubber. Same reason why most (yes, MOST because I know there is the possibility...) guys wouldn't choose to drag race with 22" DUBS. Also lower profile wheel set ups generally come in wider setups compared to our oem wheels, which can help traction and handling too.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
HerNameIsScarlet

Thanks for all the info!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply!
Lowering would probably help, as most lowering spring also stiffen the springrate. The lower the car the better the handling usually, although there are other factors in play. You could also get a take-off set of V8 springs. Take off V8 strut/shocks are probably stiffer than V6, but a much better option would be Tokico D-specs. They are more expensive, but you can tune the ride/handling to your taste.

Thinner tires usually have less rolling resistance, for better mileage. They are also cheaper to make. If we are also talking 16" V6 rims & tires vs 17" v8 rims & tires, the 17" reduces the sidewall height, which means less flex and less compliance on bumps (slightly). The tire compund is also a big deal; Generally, the higher the treadwear rating, the lower the grip.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

YES, YES IT IS WORTH IT.
And Poly bushings all around as well.
https://mustangforums.com/m_3441950/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm
Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Paulejr13
Banned

different susp and noooo sways
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i felt a difference just from upgrading to the 17" bullitts. a bit stiffer and felt like they grabbed a bit more on cornering. i'm trying to get a hold of GT sways right now so hopefully i can make my car a much better all-around street performer.[8D]

Quick Reply: GT Handling vs. V6