Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Handling vs. V6

Old 07-10-2008, 05:31 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT Handling vs. V6

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

I have seen what seems to be reliable information indicating:

the V6 front bar is smaller than the 34mm GT bar which is common with the Pony Package front bar (also 34mm). No, the PP front sway bar is 31.5mm like the V6 front sway bar.

the GT rear bar is 20mm, four mm larger than the Pony package rear bar (18mm for the dysnumeric). ???
No, its 2mm bigger. PP is a 18mm rear sway barand the GT is 20mm rear sway bar.

My experience tells me there are compromises in everything. You want excellent handling, you pay by sacrificing comfort; and vice versa. The one modification that enhances the cornering experience without major costs in harshness are the sway bars. In ordinary touring they only come into play when you are turning, and then only in relatively radical direction changes. Speaking of moderately expensive cars. Expensive cars, some of them, have enough sophisticated engineering and exotic materials thrown at them that they do very good jobs in both arenas. In their cases, you sacrifice big dollar amounts and get what you want.

Thank you for the corrections. I must have been nodding off when I typed those numbers statements.

The experience thing stands, though.

Thanks again,
Old 07-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

I have the GT suspension kit in my V6, i got it off my friend for $100 with coils and shocks.. it left me a little lower in the front and slightly higher in the back...as for handling..still not as good as the gt but i can corner about 10 mph faster..so it will give you a faster lap time then stock but the GT has the added weight of the engine and that helps hold it down..i would like a strut brace and maybe a trunk stiffner but im happy with my $100 mod

Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

Lower it around 1 3/4"-2" front & back, wider wheels & tires & either GT sways front & back or aftermarket upgraded Sways for the GT & you won't believe the difference. I had a Eclipse GT & with stock suspension it was a fat bloated pig but after lowering, new sways & tires & wheels it cornered like a scared rabbit.

Rick
Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A V-6 and a GT are the same basic car. The chassis and all the pickup points, etc. are alike. The differences come in the form of Spring rate, swaybar rate (size), dampers (shocks/struts), wheel/tire combinations....

My girlfriend has an '07 V-6. I have a GT. I autox a Shelby GT. I get to compare/contrast S197's all the time. Because Marcy's car is a driver, we didn't go aftermarket with the stuff we put on her car. I put my OEM GT dampers on when I replaced mine with Koni's. We bought some take off springs and bars and boom..... A mini-GT. The only reason it does not drive just like a GT is because of the 16" wheels and BFG tires, as well as a little bit of unsprung weight (lesson a V-6 due, which is good not bad,owing tosmaller brakes and the 7.5" axle).

The V-6 engine sits further back and is shorter than the GT's. So even while it's cast-iron and not aluminum, the fact it's smaller and less of it hangs off the nose is no bad thing.

In the end, the question of why a V-6 an GT feel different is pretty much down to tuning. And generally what works for one will work for the other. I'd also like to point out that you should take some quoted numbers with a grain of salt. I remember reading the front bar on V-6 is 28.5mm. Marcy's car (a non-pony car) came with a 31.7mm bar.