Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

ULTRA high perf. tires and SLA upgrade (reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Need ULTRA high performance tire recommendations

Initial thoughts on the SLA upgrade:

Ride is much softer than with standard Koni coil-overs that have just been removed. There is also much less general 'noise' from front suspension components as the shock/spring is now tied directly to the frame at 'K' member location. I suspect this is the main reason as frame is much better support over shock-tower and not oporating in a long hollow tube [&:]. Open the hood and you now have two 3' diameter holes and several smaller ones where CC plates once mounted and have a nice birds-eye view of control arms and mini coil-over suspension. Although car has a nicer ride, that can fool you until one takes the first nice dig into a corner. Ihave takenmany, many, many easy turns and have not yet begun to push it. I would prefer to instinctively understand how the new works will react before I drive it hard in the twisties. With that said, I think I am going to like this [sm=badbadbad.gif]

I would like to thank Norm and f1 specifically for your input to tire pressue and cause of previous tire wear. I have been thinking about it and makes sense as to how car would feel when REALLY digging the corners hard prior to this SLA upgrade. I won't waste MF forums inkto fully explain,as you already know what that feels like. I am hoping the much firmer sidewall and lower profile from the R888's will help to some degree. I will also experiment with higher PSI as suggested by not only the two above mentioned, but the race car drive I met at the track and his thoughts on the R888 on the street.

Jazzer on TDH (that did help )

If anyone is interested in my old set of Koni coil-over set-up, PM me. The components are about 1 year old or soand inclulde Griggs CC plates along with bolts and mounting hardware. Keep in mind, this is for a '99~'04 Stang and WILL NOT WORK on an S197. If anyone is interested in some shock towers, they are for sale as well. I just have to figure out how to remove them from the engine compartment [8D]
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Jazzer - give us an idea of the final cost for this upgrade. I've looked at the Griggs site and can see its some pretty pricey stuff. Can you post some pics? You are going to put the car on a track soon, correct? You'll have to post your thoughts after doing that.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I'm still confused here?

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH S197s??????
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Probably not a hell of a lot.But . . .

(1) Unless things have changed drastically over in the SN95 sections within the last couple of weeks or so, he"s not going to get much help there and most of those regulars wouldn"t appreciate the information as much as those here. It"s not an OPR topic either, never mind that that forum is one of the really quiet ones.

(2) It is arguabkly better to have additional members with an interest in hard cornering here regardless of platform than lose them from the site altogether. Sometimes an outside point of view can be enlightening for the members who do have S197"s. You never know when somebody"s comment will make something entirely separate from the topic at hand "click".

(3) Like I mentioned before, this forum may end up becoming the handling forum for the SN95 and possibly the Fox platform cars by default.

(4) This isn"t Corner-Carvers.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I just asked it OUT LOUD Norm

At CC the question would have been MEAN lol
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Have any of you been to CC? [:'(](think I saw Norm there)

I signed up prior tostarting this thread asit seemedlike thea good place for the information I was seeking. I was quickly turned off by the abrupt and, frankly, un-friendly place it seemed to be after reading a couple dozen posts. It is no place for newbies, that is for sure. My 'welcome'e-mail said 'welcome to Corner Carvers. You failed to readall the rules,strike one'.

Anyway, your right, Norm. I would love to have an SN95 section devoted to handling and suspension, but over at Saleen / Roush section, 98% of the people are into HP and exclusivity of the Saleens and Roushs' and only corners in a distant second. All are wonderful pepes but don't dig the corners as I do, so not as into suspension, tires and cornering mods. I don't think any will ever invest the money in to suspension as I have, but will put that much and more into forged engine and twin turbos. That is cool, just not my cup of tea.

Radio, you are also correct. I don't have an S197 and, as you already know, don't know much about them when it comes to mods [&:]. I am an enthusiast of cars and Mustangs in general. I had an lowered and moded '85 GT for 20 years and fell in love with the twisties in late '70's.

Hoping to get my wheels and tires hooked up by Friday and will invade this forum once again

Peace. Jazzer

Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

^^^^^^ROFLMAO................somebody forgot to put the "code word" in their first email at CC.

I got my pee-pee whacked at CC right away too. It's a right of passage. Stick around there long enough and you see why. It's not as bad as everybody thinks, they just want quality tech and no b.s. "which cai - C&L or AEM?" threads. It gets old. When it comes to fox stuff it's the only place I bother with.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Yeah, best to lurk for a while and "get the lay of the land", so to speak. Unless you actually do have some clear hardcore tech to contribute to a currently-running thread. Having a thick skin is prerequisite. I rememberone guy we ran through the gauntlet on his first post - now he"s a moderator over there.

Norm
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

And if you ever need a good laugh, just open up this classic cc.com smackdown thread! http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25817
Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Argonaut: I haven't been to the track yet and just need to get off my **** and join a club to do so. As for cost, I did the complete GR-40 upgrade in several parts. This cost me more money in the long run, but couldn't afford to do it any other way. If I would have done the entire thing in one visit, I would have saved probably 3K. Let's just say, I spent well over 10K for the set-up as it is now. The R888's and new wheels widened to accomodate the tires are not included in that cost.

If curious come on over to the Hollywood side of the forums

***SLA pics***

Jazzer