Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

Default coilovers

worth the money? im thinking of ordering the eibach pro sport...coments? thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: coilovers

Totally worth it, I would suggest a set of Koni 2822 MKII series dampers.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I don't like the Eibach stuff as the dampersleavesome to bedesired. I feel that coil-overs are overrated in most situations. You can't move the height in 2 minutes, and even if you could any change on the front warrants an alignment.

Frankly there is very little that a great set of shocks and well thought out springs can't do as well as "coil-overs" and at times do better the coil-overs.

Why is everyone so enamored with the adjustable ride height? It has it's uses, but I think most folks do it for the bling factor.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jayel579
Totally worth it, I would suggest a set of Koni 2822 MKII series dampers.
Hi jayel579,

Wrong, try again. Koni 2822 arecoilovers for SLAsuspended cars though you shouldbe able to use them on the rear axle withimproved axle sidebrackets and reinforced damper pockets in the unibody to keep them from ripping through the unibody's sheetmetalwhich was never designed to carry the load of a coilover.A better choice for the S197's frontstruts would be D/A Koni 8611racingstrut inserts or if you have the money, engineering and fab skillsor know where to find them possibly Koni 2817 inverted semi-finished struts but chances are the short stroke and limited size availability will cause issuesfor a street car but they should work fine for a race car.

If anybody is interested in doing this I can do the design work have them fabricated locally here in the L.A. areaand convert stock strut housingsusing Koni 8611D/A race inserts. This is basically what Progressive is doing though they are using race level spring rates which IMO are unnecessary and unwanted on a street car. Steelcomp is using the Progressivestrutsand I thinkhasbeen happy for the most part.

Pip-up Steelcompand tell us what your experience has been with the 8611 inserts if you would sir! I've usedKoni 8611race inserts before and they worked well on the street and race track once adjusted and appropriate springs were installed.

HTH!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

F1Fan, you are always goodforkeeping me in line. I'm sorry for the mistake.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sam Strano

I don't like the Eibach stuff as the dampersleavesome to bedesired. I feel that coil-overs are overrated in most situations. You can't move the height in 2 minutes, and even if you could any change on the front warrants an alignment.

Frankly there is very little that a great set of shocks and well thought out springs can't do as well as "coil-overs" and at times do better the coil-overs.

Why is everyone so enamored with the adjustable ride height? It has it's uses, but I think most folks do it for the bling factor.
Hey! Where did my post go?

I agree with Sam on this, the Eibach dampers are usually the weak link,save your moneyand buy up, you won't regret buying a set of conventional strut D-Specs or Koni Sports. They are the best and only real adjustable damper performance options at the moment for the S197 chassis. Coilovers are great if you have the time and know how or a local race shop to get themworking at their best. But you should be aware that they require some effort to make work well. The beauty of a conventional strut and spring is thatwhile limited in some ways those limitations are what makes it so easy to hit the targetin terms of performance, ride height and ride.Having fixed spring seats means you have to work with whatever the spring makers are selling but for the most part you can buy any springand have it work O.K. if not perfectly for your uses as long as you are willing to accept where ever the ride height ends up at.

Of course there is nothing like a coil over suspension as far as adjustability goes but that very adjustability is the problem for most folks. If you are more demanding and have the technical know-how to make a coilover work or know someone who does and cannot find a spring that works for your needs and can afforda coilover suspension buy it.Chances area coilover is the only way you are going to be really happy with your suspension setup if you are sophisticated enough to know exactly what you want and need out the the suspension on your car.You can go the long route and fab up some nice coilovers using Koni double adjustable racing damper gutsbut this route isnot for a suspension lightweight and will requiresomewhat more serious work tuning and optimizing to get the most out of them. Oh, and they are not inexpensive and require more maintainence but at least you can have Koni rebuild them for youpretty easily if not cheaply.

The alternative to a pure racing coilover is a compromise setup using the guts of asport damper like Tokico's D-Spec or Koni's Sport dampersfor the internalsand modifying the strut body to accept a movable lower spring seat andto useSteeda's HDadjustable strut mount withthecoiloverupper spring seats for common coil over race springs whoch you can buy formanybody in the rates and free lengths you want. This is also a good option if you want adurable damper for use on the street which willrequire somewhat less maintainence than converted Koni race damper inserts in an O.E strut body.

HTH!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:58 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jayel579
F1Fan, you are always goodforkeeping me in line. I'm sorry for the mistake.

Hi jayel579,

It's not you, it's me. I"m just to **** about this stuff to leave mixed up info outin these threads. Don't take it personally, really it's me not you!

Cheers!