Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shelby GT springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT springs

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

As mentioned above you can take the front struts apart yourself with a strut spring compressor.
Most car parts stores have loaner spring compressors. However, as Sleeper said, make sure you ask for a strut spring compressor. Regular spring compressors don't work on the shorter springs used with the MacPherson struts on the front of the new Mustang. I figured that out after an hour or so.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you use loaner spring compressors, clean off the threads and re-lube them yourself. Screws that turn freely and smoothly are easier and safer to use because you aren't using as much force. Don't trust that the last guy to borrow them or the guys in the store did this for you.

I last used spring compressors a couple of months ago (on another car). They belong to my son-in-law, who was in the automotive repair business up until a couple of years ago. I still had to clean and re-lube them.

Norm
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 AM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

If you use loaner spring compressors, clean off the threads and re-lube them yourself. Screws that turn freely and smoothly are easier and safer to use because you aren't using as much force. Don't trust that the last guy to borrow them or the guys in the store did this for you.

I last used spring compressors a couple of months ago (on another car). They belong to my son-in-law, who was in the automotive repair business up until a couple of years ago. I still had to clean and re-lube them.

Norm
I just used my impact wrench. Was that a bad idea?

Asking because I'm planning to change out the springs soon.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Depends on the spring compressor design and on how solidly the coils are gripped by the hooks. I actually usedmy cordless impact to disassemble the old struts (I needed to re-use the upper mounts). But I spun the compressors down mostly by hand ratchetwhen installing the new springs on the new struts. It's easier to keep from compressing the "sides" of the springs too unequally that way. FWIW, I rigged up a clamp arrangement mounted to my engine stand so I wouldn't be working on the floor and getting the springs scratched.

Norm