Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Issues with track performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stranger
All advice is taken and greatly appreciated. This is one reason for this great forum; to be able to ask for advice, give advice and talk mustang!! This is all useful information for me, since I am just starting with the track. Even with these 2 sessions that I have been at the track, I am getting to know more about the car and get to know the car in so many different ways. Thanks all!
Allow me to apologize to you for the turn that this thread has taken.

And to explain that I question the ethics of making blanket suspension suggestions without first demonstrating sound understanding of the subject material, which I strongly feel has not been the case here. This activity is considerably riskier than drag-racing, so any recommendations should be made with appropriately more discretion (and explanation) than, say, "put 4.10's in it and go hammer it".

Norm
Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

I think that Rodeo and Norm have given you some really good advice.

As far as a vendor, I would also suggest Sam Strano. The problem is that Sam is like the local shop here in Houston and the guys over at Corver-Carvers.com - they just about won't let you buy anything for your car!

They all agree on the same principles: improve the driver first with track time and make only one change at a time to the car.

Your car is a great learning platform. It has enough HP to keep you out of the way of faster drivers and it has enough understeer to keep you out of trouble. I've had my '07 for a little over a year and have done 16 or 17 track days. However the only mods are CC plates, Koni's, Carbotech brake pads, and Kuhmo SPT's on the stock 17" wheels.

My only contribution would be to buy Going Faster by Carl Lopez and Skip Barber. It has a lot of information about driving on the track. It also talks about the friction circle and the idea that if the tires are at maximum cornering there is no grip for acceleration.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by houstonnw
I've had my '07 for a little over a year and have done 16 or 17 track days. However the only mods are CC plates, Koni's, Carbotech brake pads, and Kuhmo SPT's on the stock 17" wheels.
Hey Houston, been a while since I've seen your posts, where you been hiding? At the track I guess - dude, I thought I was spending a lot on the Driver Mod, but 17 days in one year, wow! God bless you, you are supporting the economy all on your own - LOL. Of course you can run all year around, where we in the North East have to watch YouTube videos during the winter.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 PM
stranger

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Allow me to apologize to you for the turn that this thread has taken.

And to explain that I question the ethics of making blanket suspension suggestions without first demonstrating sound understanding of the subject material, which I strongly feel has not been the case here. This activity is considerably riskier than drag-racing, so any recommendations should be made with appropriately more discretion (and explanation) than, say, "put 4.10's in it and go hammer it".

Norm
Thank you for the note Norm. No worries my friend. All information is good to improve one's knowledge. With all the excitement at the track, I omitted the driver mod (which is the foundation of performance driving). You are right, it is good to understand what is going on, which is why I was asking too many questions (hope I did not bore you guys ) I will stick with the tires for now, since winter is approaching and all the tracks will be closed. It will be exciting to get through the snow though In the meantime, I will do more research. Thanks again for all your advice everyone.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM
stranger

Originally Posted by houstonnw
I think that Rodeo and Norm have given you some really good advice.

As far as a vendor, I would also suggest Sam Strano. The problem is that Sam is like the local shop here in Houston and the guys over at Corver-Carvers.com - they just about won't let you buy anything for your car!

They all agree on the same principles: improve the driver first with track time and make only one change at a time to the car.

Your car is a great learning platform. It has enough HP to keep you out of the way of faster drivers and it has enough understeer to keep you out of trouble. I've had my '07 for a little over a year and have done 16 or 17 track days. However the only mods are CC plates, Koni's, Carbotech brake pads, and Kuhmo SPT's on the stock 17" wheels.

My only contribution would be to buy Going Faster by Carl Lopez and Skip Barber. It has a lot of information about driving on the track. It also talks about the friction circle and the idea that if the tires are at maximum cornering there is no grip for acceleration.
Wow, 17 track days. This must be great. I only did two and I cannot wait for spring to come I will definitely check out that book.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Did you find a snow tire yet?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
stranger

Originally Posted by UrS4
I am looking for the Blizzaks, that you recommended, but they are hard to find. I am also looking at the Michelin Latitude Alpin HP in case I do not find the Blizzaks.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Hey Houston, been a while since I've seen your posts, where you been hiding?
Hiding? That's funny, I check this website every day.

You're right, I do spend a lot of time at the track. I try to do one track day per month.

So maybe it's a good thing that I don't spend any money on the car - gotta love those cheap 17" tires!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 PM
stranger

Originally Posted by UrS4
Just bought the X-ICE a week ago. I can feel the difference driving the car. The car seems a little lazy but much more stable. Weather has been over 60 for the past week-and-a-half so did not get a chance to test them yet. Now I am looking forward for some cold weather and some snow to see how these behave