Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Any tips on installing new rear shocks on my 06 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:27 AM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

Default Any tips on installing new rear shocks on my 06 GT?

I have Roush shocks on the way and will install them this week on my 06 GT convertible. I put the Roush springs on about a month ago and need the stiffer damping of the shocks I think. Anyway, does anyone have any tips or things I need to look out for when putting these on? Thanks in advance
Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

If you have an impact driver it helps. I did them with just hand tools. Pop the trunk and get the top nuts off first. You'll need a 15mm and a 6 or 7mm, if my memory is right. Start with the 15 until the shaft starts spinning. Put the small wrench over the end of the shaft to keep it from spinning. Once you're done in the trunk, get under the car and take the bottom bolts off, 15mm again. Slide the shocks out. Install the bottom shock bolts, but don't torque them. Then do the top nuts. These need torqued to 30lbs. The Roush shocks don't have much of anything to grip on top of the shaft, I resorted to vise grips and just did the best I could. Once you get them on lower the car to ride height and bounce it up and down a bit. Go back and torque everything down while the car is at ride height. Not torqueing at ride height preloads the bushings which is no good.

Good luck and let us know how you like the ride after. I'm not 100% thrilled with the setup so far.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that Scorpio333. Can you elaborate a little bit for me on your lack of satisfaction, I am interested to see your how you rate the performance?

I personally feel that after installing the Roush rear spring, the damping really sucks with the stock shocks. The rear end bottoms out way to easily and I think it need way more compression and rebound damping. Roush says their shocks are designed to work in conjunction with these springs. I am also aware that I put these on a convertible which is heavier, but I cannot see that weight difference beings the sole factor in this. Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

Basically my gripe is exacty what you describe with the Roush springs/OEM shocks setup. And the guff I get from the passenger seat. I'm not completely unhappy, just need to do a little more work. I put the springs in and drove it about 100 miles and ordered the Roush shocks with the thinking they'd match best with the springs. Out on the highway the ride is fine. Under 30 mph the ride is fine. Put it on concrete at 45 MPH and it's like ride a hobby horse. This is basically the exact behavior I had with the OEM shocks. Before the change I had no wheel hop, but I also had the 7.5 open rear end on it. Now, hop city.

So now what? My LCAs need a relocation bracket to get them back to horizontal. I may also need a UCA to get my pinion angle back, I need to get under there and check that soon. The relocation brackets should get rid of the hop.

I'm also considering the D specs, but after spending 170 on the Roushs that's not what I want to do. I haven't quite figured out if the added adjustability on the D specs will eliminate the hobby horse effect. I fear it comes down to different spring rates front to rear and I'll need to live with it or seek other fixes. Perhaps it having unmatched shocks front to rear? I have no intentions to lower the front, just can't do it around here.

Hopefully you have better results or a better tolerance for the bounciness, perhaps having the extra vert weight will help out.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:37 PM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scorpio333
Basically my gripe is exacty what you describe with the Roush springs/OEM shocks setup. And the guff I get from the passenger seat. I'm not completely unhappy, just need to do a little more work. I put the springs in and drove it about 100 miles and ordered the Roush shocks with the thinking they'd match best with the springs. Out on the highway the ride is fine. Under 30 mph the ride is fine. Put it on concrete at 45 MPH and it's like ride a hobby horse. This is basically the exact behavior I had with the OEM shocks. Before the change I had no wheel hop, but I also had the 7.5 open rear end on it. Now, hop city.

So now what? My LCAs need a relocation bracket to get them back to horizontal. I may also need a UCA to get my pinion angle back, I need to get under there and check that soon. The relocation brackets should get rid of the hop.

I'm also considering the D specs, but after spending 170 on the Roushs that's not what I want to do. I haven't quite figured out if the added adjustability on the D specs will eliminate the hobby horse effect. I fear it comes down to different spring rates front to rear and I'll need to live with it or seek other fixes. Perhaps it having unmatched shocks front to rear? I have no intentions to lower the front, just can't do it around here.

Hopefully you have better results or a better tolerance for the bounciness, perhaps having the extra vert weight will help out.
So are the Roush shocks worth it? I may still be able to cancel them. If they are not 50% or more better, it does not make sense to spend the money? Your opinion?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

Wish I could give you a good answer. It could be an issue with just my car, or me, others have them out there and I haven't seen anyone else complaining.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

With Dspecs you can adjust the ride and comfort level. Cost more than the roush but i think they are well worth it.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:57 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

yep go with the d's
Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

I can get a fairly good deal on the dspecs, but it's still not cheap. Will they resolve, or a least limit, the bouncy ride? Are they really the silver bullet of shocks?

I'd love to hear from anyone who uses the Roush rear springs, OEM front springs and d specs all the way around.