Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hoping for advice on wheels/tires/lowering, any advice helps!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
jbalta06gt

Default Hoping for advice on wheels/tires/lowering, any advice helps!!

I know there is a huge thread on lowering and performance but it got hidden away so Im hoping I can get some advice/ideas from everyone by starting a new thread.

My Car is in the shop now, Im having the street scene bod kit put on, front bumper, side skirts, and rear valance and am planning to put some 20's on it after. I was thinking to have a staggered wheel package with 20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rears, can anyone recoomend good tires and sizes and/or if this is a good idea?

Also I wanted to lower the car and was thinking of the eibach pro kit springs but am not sure if there would be any clearance issues or if i should even lower it with 20's... Im not really a huge racer and am more into looks but definitely dont want to ruin or have terrible handling, I live in Cali and the roads in the bay area are pretty good, any advice would be awesome, thanks!!

Last edited by jbalta06gt; 12-01-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM
jbalta06gt

Im also thinking about installing the new granatelli cai with pre installed nos, should I also use a tuner with it even though it says no tuning req'd... just looking for those addistional horses when needed, but might just stick with the c&l cai and diablo tuner, what do you think?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

As of this morning, you've still got the last post in the huge thread.

Anyway, the first thing you have to do is choose tires that have adequate load capacity (look for load index 96 or higher), are not too much taller or shorter than 27", and are approved for fit on the rim widths that you want. Spend some time in the "Specs" pages for various tires at www.tirerack.com - you're probably going end up with somebody's 255/35 front and perhaps 285/30 rear, and the load and dimensional information is close enough even for tires that Tire Rack does not carry (Nittos, Falkens). That's the best I can do for you with respect to tires & wheels, since you've given the "upsize" and appearance factors a much higher priority than I ever would.

Given that you're not a hardcore racer, why not get the tires and wheels first and just drive around on them for a while. Give yourself time to find out what you want to "fix" (or perhaps what needs to be "fixed") instead of trying to guess whatever it might be now. You'll have time to see if there are any clearance issues to be careful about, and time to browse through the huge thread and search this forum for specific questions to ask. Even I'm not going to attempt to condense 360+ posts down to one or two. Maybe search for posts in this particular sub-forum made by people whose opinions you either trust or seem to generally agree with otherwise.

Norm
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

We can always count on Norm for good advice.

To the OP, I know that a lot of forum members like the 20's but I suggest you look at some Stangs with 20's first before you spend the $$. I personally don't like that much rim and that little sidewall. As far as width, I have 275's all the way around and, if I do it again, I'd go 255's up front and 285's in back. Just my preference...

And Norm's suggestion on doing the wheels and rubber first and THEN seeing/feeling what you think is a great one.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
kidnizmo
2nd Gear Member

Default nice setup

Originally Posted by Nuke
We can always count on Norm for good advice.

To the OP, I know that a lot of forum members like the 20's but I suggest you look at some Stangs with 20's first before you spend the $$. I personally don't like that much rim and that little sidewall. As far as width, I have 275's all the way around and, if I do it again, I'd go 255's up front and 285's in back. Just my preference...

And Norm's suggestion on doing the wheels and rubber first and THEN seeing/feeling what you think is a great one.
NUKE your wheel and tire setup is ideal in my opinion. but isnt your 275 setup a little bit under the stock 27in tall diameter and is it a noticable difference? are there clearance issues up front? are you loweredat all?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Studnike13

I'd skip out on the staggered set, you're paying more in the long run because you can't rotate. I have 255/40 20's all the way around with Ford Racing Lowering Springs. They dropped the front 1.5", and the rear 2" because they shaved the bushings. When I put the 20's on for whatever reason my rear end was a lot higher, so I needed something more than an Eibach ProKit. I love my ride, it's smooth, well, as smooth as a lowered ride is going to be.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 AM
jbalta06gt

thanks guys for the advice...

studnike did you stick with the original shocks or did u upgrade those too? so u have 20x9s all the way around? also you like the ride, its not too bouncy or any thing with the ford springs?