Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

J&M extreme joint LCA's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
I'd be interested in seeing an exploded view of how it all goes together. If you get these, would you mind putting up some detailed picks of the joint?
There are some larger pics on their website.

http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=46

I ordered them, so I'll take some pics. If I break them, I'll be sure to post about it.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by moosestang
http://www.lmperformance.com/53001/73.html

Anyone using these? I'm wondering if it's a better option than a spherical bearing. By better, I mean less NVH, but still prevent binding.
I know you ordered them but it appears to be the same as a poly/spherical combo but with an added cushion? Cheaper too compared to the poly /spherical which is a plus! I know you will let us know how they perform! and hopefully they wont bind and actually prevent some NVH
Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

They will be here this afternoon, so I will probably install them tomorrow. I might go straight to the track with them tomorrow night.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm no engineer, but why doesn't someone make a poly/poly lca that swivels at the bar or right in front of the mounting point? That way you could have good articulation like with a spherical bushing, but there's be less NVH. Maybe having the bar swivel would be to weak or expensive.
I think I've seen where somebody did that sort of thing, but I don't remember who or whether it was uppers or lowers. Maybe one of the places that serve the street rod and Pro-Touring segments?

Either way, you'd have to provide clearance to permit not only the swiveling but also to fix the position of the rod/piston inside the outer tube. That ultimately suggests long-term looseness and rattling. There's likely a fix for that as well, as long as adding complexity and possible maintenance is not a deal-breaker.

Norm
Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Norm, I think the need isn't really there or in other words, what's available is good enough. Anyway the J&M lca's are basically the same thing only the swivel is the mounting point.

I didn't take any pics, but these things feel really nice in the hand. The extreme joint comes all ready assembled and it's very tight. These things feel lighter than my CHE's, but they are larger diameter tubing.

I don't see these breaking like the CHE's did. I would stay clear of the CHE adj LCA's unless they have changed their design. Pics of the J&M tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

These things ride very nice! There is no increase in NVH and there might actually be a decrease over the stock arms. They really make the rear feel solid and of course wheel hop is gone once again.

I'm sold.

Sorry, no pics off the car.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The scariest thing about your "retired auto parts" picture is that if you'd let it go long enough the force that would have opened up the whole business would have happened under hard braking.

I'll just mention that I wouldn't design a control arm quite like the ones that belong in your parts museum and leave it at that.

Norm
Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Looks good moose and thanks for the follow up!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I took a 60 mile drive today and I like these control arms more and more. You can really feel the flex of the stock arms when you hammer the gas or let off the gas quickly. These really firm up the feel of the rear end. Definitely better than my Che's and just as quiet or possibly more quiet.

At $176, they are the same price as the sphon poly/spherical adjustable lca's. If I had needed adjustable, then i'd have gotten the sphons. I'm glad I didn't, because these are probably more street friendly with the metal ball surrounded by poly bushings.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
dark-army
2nd Gear Member

I don't see these breaking like the CHE's did. I would stay clear of the CHE adj LCA's unless they have changed their design. Pics of the J&M tomorrow.
What's this about CHE's parts breaking? I just bought their anti-squat brackets and LCA's from Brenspeed. Bad idea or what? My LCA's aren't adj. though.

Quick Reply: J&M extreme joint LCA's?