Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Anyone ran both Steeda Comp and H&R Race springs?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone ran both Steeda Comp and H&R Race springs?

I just installed the steeda comps and d-specs last weekend and am having a great time this week running around feeling them out/testing the limits. The ride is near stock... though much tauter (which I attribute to the damping increase of the D-spec dampers) but in no way harsh. I have the d-specs 3 turns out from full hard.

I'm having a strange issue with the front being a bit higher than the rear (steedas are "supposed" to completely level the car). The handling is superb but I wonder what a bit lower/stiffer spring like the H&R race series is like. At only $250 a set I think I may pick up a pair to compare to the steedas. Has anyone here run both?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:49 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

subscribing as these are the two springs I am considering.

Ran H&R on my Audi and they were awesome and never sagged.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Well, you will hear my impressions next week. I just bought a set of the H&R races from user rodeoflyer. I'll install them next weekend and give my comparision impressions in this thread.

The strange thing about the Steeda comps is that the front end sit 1/4-1/2'' higher than the rear! I thought I had installed them incorrectly but several other users have told me they experienced the same thing. Very odd. I don't think the steeda sports/ultralites have this problem.

However, the handling is SUPERB with the Steeda competitions. I'm very pleased with the handling traits. We'll see next week how the HR's compare...
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
sd07gt
2nd Gear Member

please rember that the spring rubber isolaters are thicker on the 07 and up ! the 05 and o6 used thiner isolaters on the upper strut mount , you might want to check that out and I wouldnt be surprised if you gain a 1/4 inch of lowering
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Aw hell! So the upper rubber isolators are the problem!!?? That makes sense. Maybe I'll get some 05' upper mounts from the local ford dealership. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Got the H&R race's this morning and immediately told work that I needed 1/2 day leave . Going out to install them in a few. Hopefully the upper spring mounts will be to my advantage with the extreme front lowering of the H&R's and I won't need to replace them with 05/6 models. The H&R fronts look MUCH lower than the Steeda comps did.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I just installed the steeda comps and d-specs last weekend and am having a great time this week running around feeling them out/testing the limits. The ride is near stock... though much tauter (which I attribute to the damping increase of the D-spec dampers) but in no way harsh. I have the d-specs 3 turns out from full hard.

I'm having a strange issue with the front being a bit higher than the rear (steedas are "supposed" to completely level the car). The handling is superb but I wonder what a bit lower/stiffer spring like the H&R race series is like. At only $250 a set I think I may pick up a pair to compare to the steedas. Has anyone here run both?
Yes, they are supposed to be level. Make sure you installed both the upper and lower spring isolators in the rear or your ride height will be off.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Here is a video of our comp springs in action as well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4AJ7DkrDZ8
Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I can't say anything negative about the Steeda comps. The handling was SUPERB! I have to say. I just swapped in the H&R Race fronts and now the front sits at 27 1/2'' and the Steeda comp rears sit at 27 7/8''.

This is the perfect stance! I'm going to check out that upper spring isolator but don't remember the rears having ANY isolators on them.

This is a comparison pic of the rear stocker and the rear Steeda. The rears are pictured as they came out of the car. I just pulled them out after jacking up one side of the LCA mount. The popped right out. I inserted the Steedas into the same place matching up the coil indentions on the lower mounts.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ran both Steeda Comp and H&R Race springs?-rear-springs.jpg