Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Noob question: Will sway bars alone make a big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

To each his own... The last set of Eibach damper I was on (with Eibach springs) was a disaster. FWIW dampers are not easy to make well, and I prefer those with knowledge, experience and understanding to do it. I prefer Koni's in most cases, which is why I have them on my car. FWIW, I don't feel Eibach's springs are even close to the best. Ok, but the last few years there has been a pattern of lacking rate to support the drop (also not exactly accurate claimed drops).
Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
Sleeper_08, links are no bien!
Fixed - A couple of good threads about dampers

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...5-mustang.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...nis-again.html
Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

I installed the Eibach anti-roll kit without changing springs or shocks. I had low expectations on the kit as I figured I would just install the swaybars first and the later lower the car and install some dampers; money permitting.

The sway kit did it for me. When I first drove out of the shop and did a few swerves, I really felt a difference (I did a few swerves right before arriving to the shop). The handling improved enough for me to forget about lowering the car just yet. I may lower "for looks" later on after the stock shocks are shot to pieces and the warranty is over, but for now, it handles good enough for me. No more wallowing of the front tires when taking a sharp turn on a shopping mall's multifloor parking.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
I would like to point out though, that the stock S197 GT suspension is the best factory setup to date.
I still chuckle when I read that statement in articles and such. I hated my suspension in stock form. I upgraded springs, dampers and full suspension before finally swapping out my swaybars with Hotchkis adjustables and they made a considerable improvement in the way the car handles, rotates into corners and surprisingly even firmed up the ride. I would replace dampers first...as stated above they are probably the worst stock suspension component on the car, then immediately upgrade the bars IMO.

They're easily replacable on jackstands like every other supsension component on these cars. The most trouble I had was swapping the UCA but once you swap a part the first time you can do it in half the time (or less) the next. I just retorqued every part on my suspension in about an hour earlier this week...
Old 07-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

As far as stick-axle Mustangs are concerned (most all stick-axle cars of any make/model, actually), the rear suspension on the S197 is a huge step up from that used in any of the previous cars. The front suspension is at the very least no worse, and the chassis itself is more rigid. It's better to get your basic geometry closer to right than it is to have to band-aid poor geometry and a limber chassis with excessively stiff springs/bars/dampers.

The detail selection of things like springs, bars, and damping curves is a separate issue with no single set of choices ever being likely to please everybody.

Norm