Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

D-specs v. Konis (again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
dark-army
2nd Gear Member

Question D-specs v. Konis (again)

So after lots of reading on the forums here, I'm still stuck. A lot of really reputable people (mainly Sam) recommend the Koni's. But from what I have read, no one has offered a convincing, concise arguement as to the real advantages that the Koni's offer over the D-specs. Combined with the great reputation that the tokicos have, I have trouble rationalizing an extra ~$200 for the konis.

So here's the challenge. Someone convince me that koni's are the best. Feel free to go into technical reasons and justify the price difference. If someone can sell me on the koni yellows, fine, but if not im going with tokico.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have the D-Specs, got them a while ago mainly due to posts by F1 and others. This was at a time when the Konis were new, or at least not well represented on this and other forums. I have always been impressed with them over the stock units. I did lots of fiddling with the adjustments - going from stiff settings to soft settings in back-to-back drives and have always been amazed at the range of adjustments. On the highway with my Wife and daughter in the car I have to remember to set them soft or my wife will complain (so even she can feel the difference). Then, when I get on a back country road or race track I siffen them up and the car feels impressively stable. All in all I can't complain, they have been great.

But, I have not driven a car with the Koni's, so unlike Sam and a few others I can't comment on T vs K. If I were in the market today I'd probably favor the Koni's because of Sam, Jayel579 and a few others opinions who use them for exactly what I like: AX and Track days. They also have a fantastic reputation in the greater car community, where the Tokico's don't.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:33 AM
JiminVirginia

I've got the Konis, and they seem really well matched to my springs, so I'm happy.

I suspect, though, that if you're not going to do motorsports, the D Specs are fine.

If you are, you shouldn't hesitate to spend the extra $200 on the Konis.

My $.02. YMMV. Etc.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
dark-army
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
I've got the Konis, and they seem really well matched to my springs, so I'm happy.
What springs are do you have? I'm likely going to go with the steeda sport springs.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dark-army
So after lots of reading on the forums here, I'm still stuck. A lot of really reputable people (mainly Sam) recommend the Koni's. But from what I have read, no one has offered a convincing, concise arguement as to the real advantages that the Koni's offer over the D-specs. Combined with the great reputation that the tokicos have, I have trouble rationalizing an extra ~$200 for the konis.

So here's the challenge. Someone convince me that koni's are the best. Feel free to go into technical reasons and justify the price difference. If someone can sell me on the koni yellows, fine, but if not im going with tokico.
Konis are not worth it for the average person, if you've done a lot of above average things to your car like adjustable sway bars etc I'd consider konis, but if it's the most hardcore mod you're going to do it's pointless.

If Sam Strano is setting up your car you can't go wrong. He has a few weird preferences because of his biases but he really is good guy.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I have the D-Specs, got them a while ago mainly due to posts by F1 and others. This was at a time when the Konis were new, or at least not well represented on this and other forums. I have always been impressed with them over the stock units. I did lots of fiddling with the adjustments - going from stiff settings to soft settings in back-to-back drives and have always been amazed at the range of adjustments. On the highway with my Wife and daughter in the car I have to remember to set them soft or my wife will complain (so even she can feel the difference). Then, when I get on a back country road or race track I siffen them up and the car feels impressively stable. All in all I can't complain, they have been great.

But, I have not driven a car with the Koni's, so unlike Sam and a few others I can't comment on T vs K. If I were in the market today I'd probably favor the Koni's because of Sam, Jayel579 and a few others opinions who use them for exactly what I like: AX and Track days. They also have a fantastic reputation in the greater car community, where the Tokico's don't.
I'm also running D-specs for the same reasons as Argonaut and am happy with them for DD & Road course track use (6 days last year).

If I had to replace them I'd probably go with Koni's for the same reasons as Argonaut.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 03-03-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

I have posted this link before. This is just another persons opinion out there, anyone with a website can say anything so you kind of have to take it a little tongue to cheek. A lot of the things said on this website I have heard from many people at different autocross and track events. I have always thought that if it is great on the track it will better on the street. If you do not plan on racing at all and the car will only be a daily driver, then why worry about which ones you get? Save your money and buy the cheaper option, you will never take them beyond there capability for the street compared to on the track. I have only had Koni's in my car, so I cannot compare my car to someones car with Tokico's.

Argo, we should of switched cars for one run when we were at Evo School.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
dark-army
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the link jay, there's some good info on there. I heard someone say that Koni's have a lifetime warranty, any credit to this?

On a separate note, I've never been to a track, but I'd really like to start. Are there track days that just anyone can just show up to and race? I live near DC and go to school near NYC. Anyone know any tracks near there?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Yes, Koni's have a lifetime warranty.

There are plenty of tracks local to you whether you are in DC or NYC. New Jersey Motorsports Park in South Jersey, Lime Rock in CT, Pocono in PA, Watkins Glen in NY State, VIR in Virginia, Summit Point in West Virginia just to name a few. I autocross at Englishtown, NJ, there are also autocross events at Nassau Coliseum out on Long Island and at Citizens Bank Park in Philly.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I have to say that I never fail to be amused daily by various things said on various forums... Today I see will be no different.

Those that have had D-specs, but not Koni's cannot possibly compare the two. What's more is if you do a little research you'll find that if you break a D-spec, you're pretty much on your own and have to pay to replace it--because Tokico's "warranty" is a joke. Do that just once and the cost is a wash. And that's not even getting into the actual damping differences.

I sell both. I have had both. If it makes me weird to have a preference toward a damper that works a bit better, is more durable, and has a better warranty--then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

As for the street vs. motorsports. Yes, those of us looking for the quickest, easiest to drive car run the better shocks. However somehow that gets spun around into the thinking that damping doesn't really matter on the street, only when competiting. Simply not true.

The shocks have NO IDEA where you are driving the car, or how hard you are driving the car. The simply deal with mass and movement. You have as many or more bumps and dips and things the shocks must deal with on the street as you do anywhere else. Good damping is good damping, period... No matter where it is. Those who compete want better control, that's true. Somehow I can't see that not being something folks would hate on street car. I'm glad everyday I have Koni's on my GT, even on days like today. On performance winter tires when it's less than 20 degrees outside. The roads are clear and I drive my car. The car has no idea about any of that....

Once again, I sell D-specs. They are cheaper. They are cheaper for a reason. If we were talking $500 a set less than Koni's, that'd be one thing. But we aren't. Yes, it's a difference in price and you get what you pay for. If you want the car to work the best it can, have the best range of useable adjustment range, and have dampers that you count on being covered if there is a problem, which is already less likely than with a D-spec then it's a no brainer.

Quick Reply: D-specs v. Konis (again)