Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New wheels/tires-car now all over the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM
auraaura

Default New wheels/tires-car now all over the road

I recently went with staggered 9 and 10 inch wheels (18" diameter). Kept the stock BFG 235/50's on the front (only had about 15.000 miles on them) and put 275/40 General Exclaim UHP's on the rear. Looks great, corners great, but I have to constantly steer to go in a straight line. The car now follows every truck groove & irregularity on the road with a fooking vengenance. Is there any way to tune this out? Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the caster or camber or toe-in or something can be adjusted to make the car go in a straight line a little better. Anybody know?? The car is a royal PIA now to drive. GRRRR !!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by auraaura
I recently went with staggered 9 and 10 inch wheels (18" diameter). Kept the stock BFG 235/50's on the front (only had about 15.000 miles on them) and put 275/40 General Exclaim UHP's on the rear. Looks great, corners great, but I have to constantly steer to go in a straight line. The car now follows every truck groove & irregularity on the road with a fooking vengenance. Is there any way to tune this out? Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the caster or camber or toe-in or something can be adjusted to make the car go in a straight line a little better. Anybody know?? The car is a royal PIA now to drive. GRRRR !!
For your info..... " TRAMLIMING " causes your Front Tires to follow ruts or longitudinal cracks in the road surface, forcing you to fight the steering wheel to keep the car going in the direction you want it to. Wide High Performance and lower profile tires are often the culprits....

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 08-11-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

It is partially wider tires, partially the design of the tire, partially the alignment. I don't know what changes to the alignment would minimize tramlining. Even though you kept the stock 235's on the front, putting them on a wider tire put more rubber to the ground. with 15000 miles, they now have an uneven wear pattern hitting the road. *maybe* adding several psi to the fronts would help. It might smooth out a bit after the rubber re-wears more even across the tread.

Having two different tires front/rear with different tramlining characteristics may be exaggerating the effect.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

wider tires will exaggerate uneven roads, same thing with grippier tires. add the two together and you exaggerate it even more small price to pay
Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
auraaura

Tramlining. At least I know what it's called now and can do some more research. Thanks GT E UP. And I played with the tire pressure and that did indeed help some. Thanks, Slide. The front end shop that I've used in the past does some autocrossing so I'm going to hit them up and see if they have any suggestions on what might help too. I'll post if I find a solution.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Glad I read this post... we put wide, low profiles on 17" Cobra Rs on my Nightmare last summer and since then I've almost renamed it RoadWalker. It follows every single groove and rut in the road. I have to be very aware of how it handles or I'm shooting off the road! Now I at least know what its called!