Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

Default subframe connectors

what are the disadvantages of welding them on? are there any disadvantages of having them at all?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There was a recent and fairly detailed discussion about this in the Classic section.

Linky

Generally I prefer SFCs to be welded at more than just at the endpoints. Integral with the existing chassis/floorpan better still.

Norm
Old 08-15-2009, 02:53 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

im wondering what could be a reason i would have to take it off? so welding could make it a disadvantage since its much more difficult to take off...i like the steeda one since its bolt on...but ive read in other threads its useless unless its welded on. so im curious if someone were to weld it on, under what circumstance would one need to take it off?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:59 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Unless Steeda recently came out with a new product, the ones you are talking about are more of a torque box brace IIRC. Torque box tearing is a big problem on the Fox cars,not so much on the S197.

You will notice there are only a couple subframe connectors on the market for this car. If they were necessary everybody would be selling them out to make a buck, much like the strut tower braces (but that's another discussion).

The structure of this car is MUCH beefier than the last one. If you were to remove your interior you would be amazed by the structure. 30 years of engineering evolution speaks for something. My race car has a full welded cage and still squeaks and rattles more than my S197. You wont find them on the FR500's for a reason....
Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mykim72
im wondering what could be a reason i would have to take it off? so welding could make it a disadvantage since its much more difficult to take off...i like the steeda one since its bolt on...but ive read in other threads its useless unless its welded on. so im curious if someone were to weld it on, under what circumstance would one need to take it off?
Ignoring the question of how much benefit they provide to this chassis . . .

The only reasons that come to mind have to do with intentionally returning a car to its original condition. And at least for the foreseeable future that's something of much greater interest to the classic guys. An exception might be if one's automotive interest suddenly switched to presenting the car in a series of car shows as 'stock' rather than 'modified' or from some other segment of the automotive hobby entirely.

Or possibly moving them to another Mustang for whatever reason.

Less ethical reasons might revolve about selling or trading the car at a later date.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-16-2009 at 07:42 AM.