Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Springs VS Sway Bars for Handling Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
Since we are on the topic of sway bars, I'm wondering if that is what I now need.

This past summer I added a whipple supercharger & in the process about 120 pounds to the front of the car. This is a difference I can definately feel. I went from a 53/47 balance to 55/45. The car wants to keep going straight more than ever; and the front end of the car feels like it rolls more relative to the rear. I stiffened the front struts a bit, but I also need to maintain reasonable ride quality (I drive on terrible roads).

I never planned to touch the sway bars, but I don't like how the car handles at the moment, it's starting to remind me of how my 94 Probe GT handles.

Is a rear bar the answer? Or maybe both?

Edit: My weight balance is probably worse than 55/45. I reduced the weight in the rear by chaning the stock axle back out and I don't keep the spare in the trunk.
You added more weight to the front of the car... That's more weight that has to be dealt with. I think the answer is "both" in terms of front and rear bars. Frankly you should always do them as a set. My bar starts @ about 5% stiff in front than stock (which would be a nice match to the weight you added) and works up. The rear bar starts about 20% stiffer and works up to counter the fact the stock rear bar is too small for good balance. You can look at your sig pic and see the car falling over on the left rear tire even...

Also with a set of bars that is adjustable at both ends (most aren't) you can tune the balance to your liking. Want more rear roll stiffness? You can do it. Want more in front? You can do it. Want more at both ends, but more at one end? You can do that too. That's the beauty of adjustable bars are both ends, you get yourself 3 settings at each end to set as needed.

Bottom line you added weight to the nose, that's weight that is up high. I don't think you need or want the front bar full stiff--but you can use a little help there, and then some from the rear on balance (which is needed anyway, even before).