Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
View Poll Results: WHAT VISCOSITY OIL ARE YOU RUNNING FOR ROAD COURSE DE APPLICATION ??
5W 20
45.00%
5W 30
40.00%
10w 30
5.00%
10w 40
5.00%
other
5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Oil viscosity ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Based on the above I'll also be switching to Mobil 1 10W30 for next season.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 12-05-2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: revised per the further dicussions below
Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Who runs a 30W oil? Thats crazy for these cars.

A 30 viscosity oil will shear down as well. I've heard the 20 won't shear as much but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

After reading a bazillion threads about this on Bobistheoilguy I see no reason to run a 30 viscosity oil unless the car is being road raced.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find a single example of a motor failing in these cars from oil.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Amusing thread...

First of all, none of you are running a 30 weight oil.... you are all running 5's. The second number is a measure of what the oil protects like. The first number is the base weight of the oil. And they don't "thicken" to a 20 or 30... the additive package just protects like those oils. And the more additives you have, the more additives wear out. Rule of thumb is you generally don't want more than 20 pts. between numbers to minimize the additive package. Anyone who's changed warm oil knows it's like water compared to cold oil, certainly not "thicker".

If you want thicker oil, you need to move to a 10/30.

Further, the S197 runs a lot of oil pressure.... that's to help with keep good cushioning in the bearings. I've stayed on 5/20 in the S197's I autocross with no issues for 3 years of tossing, banging off rev-limiters, etc. But I won't run Mobil1 swill, I use Redline.

Yes, I said swill, M1 isn't even a true synthetic (just a highly refined petroleum base-stock Group 3 oil). Redline is a true synthetic Group 5 basestock... And if you don't think that matters, well you don't know much about oil. And fwiw, every engine we've had bearing issues with has been on M1.... In one case in a turbo car 15/50 M1 held half the idle oil pressure as regular old Castrol GTX in (get this) 10/30 weight. There's a clue right there. And the other telling things about M1 are: A customer had a Tahoe that drank oil, did for years--a quart every 1k miles or so. Changed oil (he picked Castrol Syntec randomly), and within the first oil change, it never used another drop again... that my friends is burn-off and something oil shouldn't do especially a "high end synthetic".

You want to talk about it's only a few bucks vs. an engine? I agree. The trouble is M1's marketing is great, and most folks never ever have oiling issues because they don't drive hard enough, which makes anything seem great. I'm not most people and have the above (and a few other) issues with M1. Not to mention it ain't all that cheap relative to really good stuff.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

AFAIK the only Group 5 synthetics are Redline, Royal Purple, and Amsoil.

I use Pennzoil Platinum right now but the car does seem to go through a bit of oil between changes. It's hard to say why, could just be blow-by. That should be pretty minimal on an NA car especially but I've seen pictures around here of people who pulled the intake and found quite a bit in there.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Oh my! What to do now guys?

Cheers.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Oh my! What to do now?

Cheers.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Sorry about the double post.

Cheers.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:35 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

If I were autocrossing exclusively I would stick with 5w20 as well. Runs are typically 60 seconds long. All you should need in that environment is something that flows fast.

To go off on a bit of a tangent here, it seems to me that road courses involve another potential danger vs. autocross which is longer duration high G turns with the potential for oil starvation. Does anybody have any good technical information on that one for the 4.6 3V?

I've seen people advising to overfill the oil by half a quart (or maybe a full quart, can't remember) when doing road course events. On the other hand, I haven't heard of anybody grenading their engine either.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

This subject has been discussed ad nauseum on this and every other car forum. It is probably the single most divisive discussion there is when it comes to cars (er...maybe roll cage design is the one, its right up there anyway). I'm not necessarily a M1 fan, and don't really think M1 vs brand X is the question here but rather what weight to use. But I will say this - I've run the Mustang very, very hard with M1. I've had that oil tested by a lab several times and it passed with flying colors. So whether or not it's "the best" I don't give a rats a**, its good enough for what I do and its readily available. So is Castrol, Valvoline, etc and I'd be just as willing to use those. Regarding weight - I've seen lab reports of 5W20 used in a track car that didn't look so hot. It could have been the oil...it could have been the car. But given the data I've seen and the opinion of S. Whitehead (the Ford engineer referenced above) I won't use 5W20 on the track. On the street, absolutely, but not on the track. I would use 10/30 though.

And one more thing - in my LS1 I've used the Amsoil racing oil and the lab report wasn't so good. I'm a little disappointed in it to tell you the truth. But, its hard to draw conclusions on one oil test. I really need more data before I can determine if Amsoil is going to really serve me better or just take more money out of my pocket.

Now - go forth and believe what you want because just like the proverbial A-hole, everybody has an opinion on which oil to use and most of them don't agree.

Last edited by Argonaut; 12-04-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2sixd
To go off on a bit of a tangent here, it seems to me that road courses involve another potential danger vs. autocross which is longer duration high G turns with the potential for oil starvation. Does anybody have any good technical information on that one for the 4.6 3V?

I've seen people advising to overfill the oil by half a quart (or maybe a full quart, can't remember) when doing road course events. On the other hand, I haven't heard of anybody grenading their engine either.
I don't have any data specifically on the mod motor but I follow a lot of road racing news and forums and haven't really seen any info about guys blowing their engines due to high G turns. I have seen discussions about the rear main bearing going out, but thats not due to G loading. Now the Chevy LSx motors its a different story. The LS3 is ticking time bomb on the track in high G left hand corners do to oil pooling in the heads and starving the mains. All C5 and C6 Corvettes have oiling problems and yes the recommendation is to run them a quart over. I think their biggest problem is they have such a shallow oil pan, the Mustang is far deeper by comparison.

Quick Reply: Oil viscosity ?