Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

coilovers?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The best? Of the non-adjustable damping coil-overs I've have to say KW Variant 1 or H&R... Not a fan of the Eibach's.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not a fan of the Eibach's.
I figured by the lack of their availability on the site, lol.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

a question i have about coilovers is which, if any, come with camber plates?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Bull3441

i have BC Racing inverted coils on my Subaru. BC makes a lot of coils for other well known companies. no rebuilds on the coils, if one blows out you get a new one for $95. if you have the $ get the KW's or if you really have the $ look into Ohlin's or JRZ. but for budget street coils, i can't say enough about BC. google BC Racing EVO Magazine review. they compared the BC's vs $1700+ systems. BC's turned better lap times.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bull3441
i have BC Racing inverted coils on my Subaru. BC makes a lot of coils for other well known companies. no rebuilds on the coils, if one blows out you get a new one for $95. if you have the $ get the KW's or if you really have the $ look into Ohlin's or JRZ. but for budget street coils, i can't say enough about BC. google BC Racing EVO Magazine review. they compared the BC's vs $1700+ systems. BC's turned better lap times.
this is what i keep hearing from subaru owners. i'm not looking to shave 1/10th of a second off my time by spending an additional grand on coilovers. i just need something that will be adjustable and let me have fun at the track or at an autocross occasionally.

i've got eibach sways on the way. i'll order up an adjustable panhard bar, then its off to an area known subaru shop for the BC racings coils in about a month or so.

i been reading that 1.5" drop is the max without worrying about the bumpstops, is that true?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bull3441
money has influence when your product is reviewed in magazines

megan racing also now makes a set for the s197gt. those and BC's wouldnt be a bad set for a daily driver who wanted to have the lowered look.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I can see some benefit on the S197 chassis if you want the larger variety of spring rates available with a coilover set up and the ability to corner weight the car but for most people who are not seriously into tracking the car is there any big benefit other than bragging rights?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I can see some benefit on the S197 chassis if you want the larger variety of spring rates available with a coilover set up and the ability to corner weight the car but for most people who are not seriously into tracking the car is there any big benefit other than bragging rights?
adjustability down the line. set up costs the same as springs and shocks, at least with the BC racing coilovers the costs are similar.

are you running 285/40/18's all around?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
hell, i'm thinking of getting a set just to have the car lower and the adjustability of the height.

if you figure in the pricing:

traditional strut/spring setup
springs - 200-250
basic struts - 400-500
camber tops - 200

$800

megan/BC setup
- includes adjustment tops

$850-1000 (i've seen the megans for 850 for other cars. no reason a dealer cant offer that pricing to mustangs)

for a daily driver. that doesnt seem bad. for HDPE folks, KW is badassitude
Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scapegoat
are you running 285/40/18's all around?
Yes in the summer I run them on all 4 corners on Steeda Ultra Lite 18 x 9.5 x 45 mm offset rims.

After lowering the car with Steeda Competition springs I got a slight rub on the left front on full lock but as it only occurs while parking I don't worry about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coilovers?