Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Track Pack, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default Track Pack, worth it?

Searching this forum I didn't find much on opinions on if the track pack is worth it so I guess the question is, is it worth it?

I'm debating options for when I order my '11 and I know its going to be retuned this year but I was asking the crowd who own or have driven a track pack mustang how it is. I haven't had the opportunity to drive one, haven't seen one on a lot with it. Is it worth it, how much better is the handling and does it completely destroy the ride with making it too rough?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
ttiguy

considering that the cost of it is about the same as the 5-spoke 19's and the 3.73 axle pkgs individually I'd say it's a no-brainer if you don't mind the spoiler delete and dont want other options you cant get with it (machined alum rims, back up cam, glass roof?).

If your like me though and want certain options that are excluded you would likely still be happy with the 3.73 axle package. The suspension upgrades are nice but in normal day to day kind of driving I'm not sure how much benefit there really is.

One very important thing to remember is that it comes with the sticky and very pricey ($400 ea) "summer only" performance tires. That may or may not be a good thing for you, gotta think twice when burning those up.

Last edited by ttiguy; 03-05-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Not sure if the track pack will be intially offered for the '11, the Brembo pkg makes more sense as it includes 19" wheels that clear the 4 piston calipers and with 412hp, I'd be wary of the stock brakes. Although I've heard that the eventual 2011 track pack will be much more evolved than the current one in the 2010. Although I hear those Pirelli's are expensive to replace and are so soft, you'd be lucky to get 15-20K miles out of them, something to consider if your car is a daily driver or weekend toy
Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

The "Summer Tires" would be a deal breaker for me if I was considering the 3.73 option vs. the Track Pack option.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Good point about the summer tires, that may be a deal breaker right there, I was just concerned with the ride harshness from the new suspension. But I still have to have the 3.73 gears and the point about combining options for savings is nice. I'm not the biggest fan of summer tires considering it will be a daily driver not a track car. So it may be worthwhile to do the suspension upgrades on my own.

But still gotta say, love this car and Ford. No one offers this level of customization to their whole line of vehicles out of the factory, no one even comes remotely close. Everybody offers everything in specific whole car packages with minor changes. Then comes the aftermarket.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:45 PM
drew2000

From researching the '11 Mustang, I think the 3.55 or 3.73 axle options are stand-alone and do not include any other tweaks to the car.

I like good brakes, and the Brembo pkg. looks sweet, but I also don't want "summer" tires as I will drive the car on snow/salt-free winter days. (plus the roads are pretty chewed-up and I can see bending rims w/40 series tires)

I want to know if the 18" SVT wheels from Ford Racing (that clear the FRPP Brembo Kit) would clear the factory '11 Brembo option.

If I can't run 50-series tires that work all year (and don't cost $1500 to replace every 15K), I won't get the Brembo pkg.

Drew
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Personally its not harsh, but right at the stiffness level I like...but i'm coming from a lowered small Infiniti on coilovers (8kg front/6kg rear) with polyurethane bushings in the control arms...

But I do like not having the spoiler personally.

The 3.73 axle is totally worth it either by itself or with the package.

The brake pads feel pretty good for a factory car as well.

Basically, the tires alone are worth the money if you were going to upgrade them anyhow. Plus i get a lot of compliments on the 19" 5-spokers. They look pretty awesome on the car.

The one negative is that there is still a good amount of wheel hop. Kind of a pain, as im gonna have to get some new control arms and relocation brackets, plus whatever else to get rid of the wheelhop. But if its this bad in teh track pack, i can't imagine it on the regular control arms (over the GT500 ones in the track pack).
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

So is it stiffer than your Infinity? And is it rough over road bumps, jarring or does it absorb it well?

But I'm thinking about it because pricing it out on the 10 it save me about a grand overall so I'm really leaning toward it. Not the biggest fan of the summer tires but they can be replaced with all season's after they are done so no big deal.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

I didn't know the Track Pack was an option on the 2011. Is it? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 2011 GT suspension will be similar (the same?) as that on the 2010 Track Pack- equipped GTs.
I drive a modified 2006 GT, but I test drove the 2010 GT with the Track Pack. I thought the ride was a big improvement over my original OEM suspension - not at all harsh and the handling was taught but not too firm. If I was in the market for a left-over 2010 I would definitely want a Track Pack equipped car if I could find one.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
drew2000

Looking at the 2011 price sheet, there is no "track Pack" listed.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/a...1&d=1263645609

Quick Reply: Track Pack, worth it?