Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

is this lower control arm kit anygood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
EscapedGreg
1st Gear Member

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/pinionangle.htm

This should help you to understand it.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

ahhh...thanks
that doesnt seem to be difficult at all to do.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 AM
EscapedGreg
1st Gear Member

It's cake if you have the equipment to do it and know what to set it at.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

What the hell? You have to remove the driveshaft to check the angle? That's what it says in that link?

There is no way around that?? The rear ends on these cars are finicky. The last thing I want to do is go pulling the drive shaft out of there when it's OK right now.

Last edited by Riptide; 05-28-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I have never removed the driveshaft when checking my pinion angle. Simply use an angle guage, check the angle on the driveshaft, the pinion shaft and adjust as needed.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:13 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8FNgaNqS8s

takes about 5 mins to find that angle. but it may take some time to set it correctly. just make sure the rear axle is at ride height, very important.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Sorry I meant a one piece driveshaft. I've read a few things saying you have to unbolt the shaft and disconnect from the rear flange.

Is that really necessary? The rear ends on these cars are fussy. The last thing I'd want to do is be disconnecting a driveshaft that is in place and not vibrating.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I guess I should also mention I dont race, never have and really never plan on going to a track strip or road course. I just like to mod and make it my own. So I guess I dont need the ultimate setup.
Even if you don't want an"ultimate" setup for performance reasons, the elimination of forces that are developed within the poly as it is forced to "squish" as the car rolls in turns or hits one wheel bumps will make the ride a little nicer.

I have run poly-bushed LCAs in another car, and promptly modified them so the car would quit tossing my head from side to side when crossing little drainage gutters at an angle. Didn't much like being a live bobblehead doll.

There isn't much reason to put up with a ride that's any harsher or tosses your head any more than is necessary for the hardest sort of driving that you anticipate ever doing.

Norm
Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Roys07GT
1st Gear Member

Got the UMI LCA's installed yesterday evening, only drove around the block and to work today so no opinion on a difference from stock, with the MT's on the back it seemed traction was about the same from a 3,000 RPM dump. Will get to the drag strip in a couple of weeks, this will be the real test, trying to improve 60' times.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Just a reminder... I'm a UMI dealer--and unlike anyone @ summit racing, I'm here and active on these forums to help.

Quick Reply: is this lower control arm kit anygood?