Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2010 Mustang StopTech brake kit installed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
Im going to eventually upgrade the rotors, to slotted, and just paint the Ford calipers to match the front.
i was actually going to get grabber blue calipers. but i didnt want to spend the extra cash to get a rear kit as well, and grabber blue caliper covers were way to expensive for what they are... so i stuck with silver :/

do you track your car at all or was it mostly for cosmetic reasons?
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

yeah congrats, they look great.

I'd love the trophy BBK. I guess ill keep dreaming.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
i was actually going to get grabber blue calipers. but i didnt want to spend the extra cash to get a rear kit as well, and grabber blue caliper covers were way to expensive for what they are... so i stuck with silver :/

do you track your car at all or was it mostly for cosmetic reasons?
Well they do look good ...I haven't tracked it yet, but doesn't mean I wont. I want to get into it, but am still slowly making it capable. Other than that, I wanted to also auto x it locally, and take it to the drag strip for some base runs before I start to mod the engine.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Nice pics! I just upgraded to this system as well (but with 2-pc. rotors). I don't have nice pics, but I have "after-track" ones:

As some of you know, I've tracked them with mixed results initially - almost ALL due to a ****-poor alignment.

The last time out the brakes performed well, but I was doing my provisional license for NASA Time Trials (so I had to behave). I've since switched up my rear LCA pickup points to something a bit more suited for track (hoping it helps a bit w/rear shimmy on hard braking).

I'm not running the pads Stoptech sent, I run Carbotech, and those alone make a big difference in street stopping (even their XP12, a track-only pad, stops remarkably better on the street than the stock system).

I'm heading out to the Autobhan Country Club again this coming Monday, no provisional-nanny-driving! So I'll have a report after that.

In the meantime, here are the weights requested.

StopTech weights: (taken on 1.16.10)
- 14" 2-pc. AeroRotor: 17.5 lbs
- ST-40 Caliper (incl. braided lines): 9 lbs
- Mounting Bracket: 1 lb
- Hawk DTC-60 Pads (one side): 1.5 lbs

For comparison, the S197's OEM GT parts are as follows:
- 12.4" rotor: 18 lbs
- Calipers (incl. aftermarket braided line, but not incl. mounting bracket): 5 lbs
- OEM Pads (one side): 2 lbs

- Stoptech 1-pc. 14" AeroRotor: 23 lbs
- GT500 14" 1-pc. rotor: 25 lbs

The thing to note is that the 14" 2-pc rotor weighs in the same as the stock 12.4" rotor (a bit less actually). But yes, the ST-40 caliper is still much larger than the OEM caliper (hard to get around that). You take a 5.5 lb hit in rotational weight running the 14" 1-pc Stoptech rotor (I have one set I take along as an emergency spare).

The sharp will notice the discrepancy in weights. By my measurements you should actually be closer to 10 lbs heavier overall each side going with the 1-pc set up. Of course, this all depends on how the weights were measured. If the OP weighed the Stoptech calipers dry (brand new, no fluid in them yet), then they'll weigh in less (making the difference seem less). Also, if the OP weighed the OEM set up w/pads loaded, then it would make the OEM calipers seem heavier, again making the difference seem less. Additionally, I had the braided lines attached, making my Stoptech caliper figure a bit higher than it might have been (keep in mind they're braided and have the metal brackets attached). I think there's enough there, factoring in the +/- in scale accuracy, to account for the discrepancy.

To the super sharp & attentive: Yes, I weighed Hawk DTC-60 pads, but only because that's what I had at the time (I don't run them at the track).

Bottom line: you can equalize the rotational weight going to a 14" rotor (if you opt for the 2-pc variety, which COST you), but you're pretty much stuck when it comes to the caliper itself (at least that's not rotational weight). The superiority in braking makes it weight well spent.

Best,
-j

Last edited by Philostang; 08-07-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Re-verified & clarified findings
Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

They look amazing....nice job.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Excellent info. I figured the 1 pc rotors where heavy compaired to 2 pc units.

I did weigh everything including lines, and pads for both stock and StopTech units. However you are correct, I did measure the Stock set up with whatever fluid may have been in the caliper and Stoptech dry... I only did 1 side to come up with my about 5lb diff. I didn't measure each piece seperate, I should of though.

Still very good info. Thank you...

Something I just thought of, but because of my 3:73 gear package (for 2010), that included different calipers in the front, maybe that is why our weights could be a little off also?

Last edited by Lv XLR8N; 08-03-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I forgot you had a 2010...and I know diddly about the caliper options for the revamp (aside from the Brembo track option). I assumed they used the same GT caliper from previous years, but obviously they could have changed that up.

FWIW, unless you're going to seriously track the car, I wouldn't bother with the 2-pc rotors. They're heinously expensive compared to 1-pc units, and those are more than adequate for street and moderate track use. The larger mass alone does wonders for staving off heat checking. A buddy of mine is running 1-pc Brembo rotors and we're both amazed at how much longer they've lasted under heavy track use compared to the stock GT rotors.

Best,
-j
Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

actually im pretty sure the calipers stayed the same for 2010. i weighed my stock calipers at about 10 lb though not 4.5.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
actually im pretty sure the calipers stayed the same for 2010. i weighed my stock calipers at about 10 lb though not 4.5.
This is what was said about the 2010 Mustang with 3:73 rear end package. I dont know what the Standard were, I want to say without the package the front brakes were the large single piston calipers.

* 3.73 Rear Axle Package (GT Coupe with Manual Transmission only)
o Performance 3.73 Axle Ratio
o Dual Piston Front Calipers with Performance Brake Pads
o Recalibrated Electronic Stability Control® (ESC)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

hmm maybe philo knows. either way we all have cars with sexy brakes now

Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang StopTech brake kit installed.