Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Please give me your advise. Best struts/shocks for lowered ride quality.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:15 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First... do I think it's dangerous to run those bolts? No, not really. Except the "spindle failure issue" is all down to loose bolts. And running bolts that aren't even up to Ford torque spec isn't really helpful in keeping things tight.

Ford upper mounts are notoriously weak spots. And not every upper mount makes noise. This is why I use sooooo many Steeda HD mounts. They are NOT race camber plates, but "street" camber plates that use bushings to lessen both noise (no more than stock--at all), and impact harshness.

As for Koni voiding warranty for slotting: Ford spells slotting the hole out for use of their bolts in the factory service manual.

I could have addressed all your questions--you should have asked me.

And I want to add one thing, going back to the top. I've seen many cars with loose strut bolts and nobody knew it.
Thanks Sam, as usual, you make a good point. It's good to know about the Steeda HD mounts, and the Koni warranty. I also like the fact that you give us the straight dope. I'll take your advice and give you a call next time, and save myself some grief. On the loose bolts, it's sad to see that it is common practice at many alignment shops to just torque the strut bolts with an air wrench, but after snugging them to 166 by hand I understand why they do it. I'd like to add that if anyone is considering the Steeda Sport springs, give Sam a call. Steeda makes two versions, and he sells the one you are looking for to give you that ride quality while lowered (coupled with decent shocks/struts) that on my car, exceeded all my expectations.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I have to be honest, I hit the bolts with an air gun as well... I really can't get them too tight for my use.

Steeda HD mounts is a pretty poor name really. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to think they are just a replacement mount and not actually a camber plate as well. So I'm going to start referring them to as both!

I'm glad you are happy with your springs, I do think the version of the springs I prefer are among the very best lowering springs out there for a car that's not a track only rat.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
GTS 3.7L
1st Gear Member

I want to lower my car and install aftermarket shocks and struts.
From what I have read here and from stranoparts.com,
For entry level performance for my 2011 V6 3.7L
I will need:
Steeda Sport Springs
Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
Steeda HD Upper Strut Mounts & Isolators from a set of 2005-2010 OEM Ford Upper Strut mounts
Will I also need to get a Steeda Adj. PanHard Bar?
Then of course have the car aglined.
Is that everything I will need for entry level performance?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTS 3.7L
I want to lower my car and install aftermarket shocks and struts.
From what I have read here and from stranoparts.com,
For entry level performance for my 2011 V6 3.7L
I will need:
Steeda Sport Springs
Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
Steeda HD Upper Strut Mounts & Isolators from a set of 2005-2010 OEM Ford Upper Strut mounts
Will I also need to get a Steeda Adj. PanHard Bar?
Then of course have the car aglined.
Is that everything I will need for entry level performance?

I tend to be careful with the word "need". I don't throw it around as loosely as some vendors do, and consider NEED to be either a requirement, or a "you'll be sorry if you don't do this" word.

If you want to drop the car, obviously you need lowering springs. And I really like the Steeda Sport (if they are correct version, the only ones I'll stock).

The dampers aren't a *NEED* in terms of dropping the car, but are if you want it to work well. In my eyes they are very, very important, but you technically could lower it without changing those--just don't expect the best performance or ride.

HD Mounts + isolators from a 05-10. Stock mounts are weak and prone to failing and breaking when you take them apart. HD mounts take care of that and give you camber adjustment. If you run the HD mounts, you will need the isolator from the older car. If you opt to skip the HD mounts, you can directly run the 2005-2010 mount complete, or run your 2011 mount (new or if you don't break yours) with a spacer on the Koni. Again, I'd recommend these, but getting the isolator adds some cost.

Panhard bar: In no way a necessity. Recommended, not required. No Shelby GT as it was delivered had an adjustable PHB, and many lower their cars and find the body isn't all askew. But it will be off a little, and aftermarket PHB's are stiffer/have less deflection. And easily added at any time as well, so that's not what I'd consider a NEED, though not a bad idea. I'd in fact not recommend a Steeda bar, we can do bars that are every bit as good for less money. And you know that I'm anti-Steeda given I'd use their mounts and springs. I am pro-customer, and want what's going to work best for you, or as well if it saves you a few bucks. I sell the Steeda PHB--sometimes folks want only what they want, so if you decide on that, I can supply it to you. But we use UMI PHB's more commonly.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I have Steeda suspension hardware, Steeda Sportline Springs and D-Specs (3 weeks now). I am amazed. Can't believe how much better it is after getting the stock shocks and struts off.

I can not speak for anything else but I love my D-Specs.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM
GTS 3.7L
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info

Last edited by GTS 3.7L; 11-14-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM
livewr06
1st Gear Member

Hello A couple of suspension questions
I've lowered my car with Steeda Sport Springs and Eibach camber bolts,adjusted to 1.1 degrees(along with struts and apb). After reading about these bolts possibly loosening over time, I have purchased Steeda HD Mounts and want to go with the 14mm fine thread camber bolts for added torque. Can anyone tell me which ones to order.
I've seen that the H&R are for adjustment and would like just bolts. Do they make these?

Also with regards to LCA, in reading all the lowering posts have become confused as to whether I need these. What should a pinion angle be measured at and how is it measured. Do you place a digital protractor on it for reference?

I am located in NorCal and if anyone knows a good Hiperf suspension shop in the Bay Area, let me know.

I use the car as a weekend driver and enjoy spirited backcountry driving and would like to eventually go to a track a couple of times a year.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

166 ft lb bolts are W714652-S439, (4 pack). Nuts are W714653-S900, (4 pack).
Old 10-17-2010, 08:22 PM
livewr06
1st Gear Member

Thanks Rebus. Those are just straight up bolts and don't require modification to my struts? I don't want to drill them out. Otherwise, I would go with the Steeda bolts.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by livewr06
Thanks Rebus. Those are just straight up bolts and don't require modification to my struts? I don't want to drill them out. Otherwise, I would go with the Steeda bolts.
Upgraded stock Ford bolts, finer thread pitch. No modification necessary. These are not camber correction bolts. They have been used since around 2008? and up.

Quick Reply: Please give me your advise. Best struts/shocks for lowered ride quality.