Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2011 GT (brembo equipped) aftermarket suspension research

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
txminime

I didn't even bother calling Griggs because they are almost always full hardcore with their setup. If I'm building a track only car, I'd probably call Griggs. But the majority of the time with my 2011 GT will be on the street.

I did talk with someone at Maximum Motorsport and was immediately steered toward Eibach Multi-Pro R1, C/C plate, adjustable panhard bar, etc. What bothered me was that two different persons from MM could not tell me how the Eibach are different from various Koni/Bilstein when it comes to damping, durability, quality, etc.

Finally, I gave Sam a call and he fully understood the problems that I'm trying to fix with the car, explained why the stock suspension is doing what it is doing, and how the recommended setup will fix each problems. I spent a lot of time tweaking with my '93 Mustang with full Griggs GR40 suspension. It doesn't make me an expert, but I have a reasonable understanding of basic suspension tuning. During the whole phone conversation, Sam never once came across as trying to hype things up just to make a sale, and clearly showed his extensive knowledge in suspension turning from driving and tweaking his own car.

My wish list is pretty much the same as the OP. While I'm ok with the ride of the stock suspension (it's firm, but far from stiff/harsh), the imbalance between front and rear suspension was my primary complain. The front/rear bouncing at freeway speed was absolutely driving me crazy. On tight/hard turns, the super stiff rear suspension just doesn't want to keep the rear tires down with even the slightest imperfection on the road surface. Granted, the stock suspension is light years ahead of all the stock Mustang I've driven, including almost every SVT/SVO offerings, but there are definitely room for improvements.

Ordered my springs and shocks from Sam and picked up a set of Steeda HD mount from a friend who recently upgraded to full C/C plates. I can probably get by without the Steeda mounts, but I do want the option to dial in a bit more extra negative cambers for track days without dealing with the additional noise and vibrations from C/C plates. Can't wait to swap out the stock suspension and take the car to the track for a run.

-fc