Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Cross-drilled rotors for '11 Brembo's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
chs51

Default Cross-drilled rotors for '11 Brembo's?

I've got the 2011 with the Brembo brake pkg and would like to replace the OEM front & rear rotors with a high-quality cross-drilled rotor. Has anyone done this yet? Any suggestions on brand or fitment issues?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Why do you want to replace them?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Why would you want to put cross-drilled rotors on your Brembo equipped car? For looks? Maybe replace them with slotted rotors, but cross-drilled?

From this post ( https://mustangforums.com/forum/newr...eply&p=4748705 )

Originally Posted by Jbauer
I know how this sounds..i really do- but my uncle is one of the engineers at Brembo. I asked him this same question- and i got more than i bargained for with a 1 hour conversation on brake rotors and pads...i'll tell you the rundown.

When you cross drill rotors- each hole is one less area the brake pad has to bite on- in short cross drilled rotors suck,will increase your stopping distance, and are useless because brakestoday don't even need the use ofdrilledrotors tovent. He told mefor serious braking, and best pedal feel stayaway from drilled. he also told medrilled rotors WILL crack in a severe raceenviroment and that with thedrilled rotors they sell- they warnon their site not to use it in a race application (maybe someone can also check this on their site)and he told me that even porsche admits- they do it only for looks.

Then on to drilled slotted. he said only a moron would run these..not only are you drilled losing braking surface, your slotted between the drills, and that there just as bad if not worse than drilled rotors.

He informed with any of the two above- he is absolutley certain no one feels a diffrence with drilled, and especially drilled/slotted unless there original rotors were worn- and that ppl with drilled rotors are suffering a LOSS not a gain and would recieve better performance from O.E than drilled.

For best braking, and a diffrence your most likely to feel- get slotted rotors. He told me he believed every car should come with slotted. The slots bite into the pad, causing friction, and the slots themselves also help remove any heat. he told me slotted rotors are the ONLY choice in rotors
and i believe him because he was important enough to be taken to Germany to work with other engineers. won't see me in any more drilled and especiallly not drilled slotted..thats that much less surface area to brake on.
I made the mistake of getting cross-drilled rotors ONCE. I had to slam on the brakes ONE time on the highway to get from 70 down to zero to avoid a collision ahead. The rotors cracked from that one stop.

I can think of a lot better areas to spend your money than on new rotors for your already awesome brake system. If you decide you must change them, change out your whole kit and sell me the Brembos for my car on the cheap.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You don't want cross-drilled rotors, see no further than Jason's comments above.

I carry DBA rotors (3 different types) which are slotted for the Mustang. There are standard slotted, 4000 series slotted (different pattern and temp paint added) and the 5000 series 2-piece for the front (aluminum hat, temp paint).

You can see them here: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...CategoryID=204

These are all direct fit for the stock cars (you only want to look at the 14" front versions since you have a Brembo car, rears are all the same).