Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front Lowering Spring Install WITHOUT Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Default Front Lowering Spring Install WITHOUT Compressor!

EDIT: Well since its been 119 views and no help, figured I'd post a video I found. This shows how to do it.

http://www.v8tvshow.com/forum/index.....msg194#msg194

I know a lot of people have installed front lowering springs on our cars without a compressor, but I can't seem to find a write-up without using a coil spring compressor. I know theres a trick but cant remember it. Anyway a write-up would be great!!! Thanks

And I already installed the steeda sport rear springs which is why I only need the front install write-up... I just ordered the front springs and would love to install them this weekend.

Last edited by iceguyb14; 01-18-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: HOW TO VIDEO
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Just rent a spring compressor from Autozone or something. All you do is clamp the spring on opposite sides from each other, and slowly go from there.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
2005WBvert

My father and I tried it without a spring compressor in my 2003 mach 1 with great success.

But we were met with failure with my 05 GT. We left the top 4 bolts on above the strut and tried lowering the a arm all the way down with hopes the spring would un-compress completely, but weren't even close. Plus there were other parts of the suspension starting to move in ways they weren't supposed to.

Like posted above, $50 at autozone for spring compressor. You get your money back when you return them
Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
azrampage
1st Gear Member

Years ago I just bought a good quality spring compressor (they can also be rented) and have ended up using it on quite a few cars over time. One is not that expensive considering everything that could go wrong trying half-a** methods. As stated elsewhere, things don't always release as intended, and the consequences can be severe both physically as well as mechanically.

The good news is that most replacement "lowering springs" will go back on without the need for any compressor, as they are usually significantly shorter than the originals.

My two cents.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 AM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

The process they used in the video looked sketchy. I was able to install my Steeda springs by myself with spring compressors that I bought from harbor freight for $14.99. They were surprisingly good quality and worked perfectly. I was expecting a one time use out of them but they can definitely last.

Another way to perform a spring transfer is to totally unbolt your strut assemblies from the car. have a friend take you to a tire shop or suspension shop where they have a strut assembly compressor machine(call to make sure beforehand) and have them swap out the springs for you(for a price maybe).
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

It's easy.....just use an impact on the top nut. nothing will fly up and hit you unless you're a 65lb child with no upper body strength lol
Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Installed the springs in am hour and a half with a friend with no spring compressor. Very easy
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Buy or rent yourself a good quality spring compressor. I used one from Harbor Freight and one of the bolts SNAPPED on me, causing me to chuck the spring into the yard in fear that it was going to let loose.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I guess my question would be - "Why would you not use a spring compressor?" They are FREE from your local auto parts store.

Last edited by kzonts; 01-21-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:22 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
I guess my question would be - "Why would you not use a spring compressor?" They are FREE from your local auto parts store.
It's easier and faster not using one, and safe if you do it right. And you don't have to make 2 trips to the store... Those reasons seem good to me lol

Quick Reply: Front Lowering Spring Install WITHOUT Compressor?